Rouen Duck thread

Pics
Mine is a very large chicken coup (cottage) divided into halves and also heights. Ducks are the bottom dwellers.

I'm new to raising ducks. I bought two Rouen about three weeks ago from tractor supply so I don't know exactly how old they are...both look identical...they both kinda chirp vs quack of any sort...I noticed the other day that they are starting to get some small tail feathers....is there any way to tell if I have male female. If I have two of one sex will they survive with each other or do they need to mated one of each sex...?

I watched my baby Rouens very closely last year trying to tell the sex. Also did a lot of reading. The voice is different early. The males having a raspy quack. Four things I noticed early and my prediction for their sex was correct. Males have a raspy voice. Their beaks and feet are lighter and not mottled. The underside of their tail became black or very solid dark when the rest of their feathering looked exactly like a female. The females tail underside looks the same as the rest of their coloring. When the males start to turn, the white neck ring and a definite green sheen on the head are first. That tail underside gets darker and is solid.

I'm new to raising ducks. I bought two Rouen about three weeks ago from tractor supply so I don't know exactly how old they are...both look identical...they both kinda chirp vs quack of any sort...I noticed the other day that they are starting to get some small tail feathers....is there any way to tell if I have male female. If I have two of one sex will they survive with each other or do they need to mated one of each sex...?

The girls will be BFF. You don't need a male
Except you will not have fertile eggs or babies. If there are other duck breeds around you could get cross breed ducklings.

Also if you have 2 drakes, then you will have an all drake flock. As long as no female ducks come near, there should be harmony. :) And if you have a pair, then that should be ok too. Any way I see things, I bet you are just fine.

Okay thank you all so much...I don't want ducklings or anything lol just something for my kids to hangout with lol I knew they thrive better with a friend but didn't know if it could be same sex... Can't wait for our weather to make up it's mind so they can get out to their pen :)

Back
Top Bottom