Rouen Duck thread

Pics
hahaha......no.....I just put him there for the pics. lol

Do runner ducks sit more than the others? He's eating and getting along, but that one sits down asap, and sometime is the only one sitting. I don't know how it got in the rouen bin unless because it was black.

I was going to bring them to my pond when they got older, but was concerned he might be in danger.....literally..."a sitting duck"

Ok I wasn't sure if you just set him there for pics or not. I'd give him so more vitamins/electrolytes. I've had some runners that sit more than my other ducks did so I added electrolytes and the problem went away. I used nutri drench which I got from my local tractor supply. Maybe it was a mistake on the hatcheries part. Most feed stores buy there ducklings from hatcheries or sometimes local farmers. That's how I ended up with Runners is from a mistake by a hatchery.

My baby. Two weeks old
smile.png

Adorable!!

The dark one deff Rouen because the bottom stripe is only slightly broken up. Although Rouens normally have 2 eye stripes they can have 1line and one that is broken up.
I went back through and looked at the pictures and I'm thinking it might be a Runner. I went through my runner's baby pics and they had stripes on there eyes too.

Makes sense. I have only raised mallards and I got my rouens when they were full grown and haven't had ducklings since. The eye stripe thing was what I was told but that makes complete sense. Im still learning about it all. Thanks for clearing that up! Cute ducklings by the way!!! :)

A lot of hatcheries sell ducklings as "Hatchery choice" for a slightly lower price. Might have been ordered that way and seller just posted sign as Rouen's. Or ducklings. A lot of places that sell birds don't do a lot of research. Sad when I know more and tell other customers things that they should here from the seller. But I don't mind trying help others out getting into poultry.

My rouen eggs are developing in incubator and she still laying daily just haven't decided how many I want to set before I leave her with a clutch to hatch.

1 thing about ponds/water for them swimming is you have to be careful in cold weather. I have lost a few because they decided to swim and it got to cold and they froze in the pool/pond.

Anyone know if there is much difference between ducks and chickens for inbreeding rules? My 2 I have now and are breeding are full brother and sister 1st generation. I will add a different drake if I end up with a lot of new ducks this year but this is how things worked out this year. Anyway I went w/o buying new birds any eggs were going to end up with some type of inbreeding (Father/daughter. mother son or siblings). Not ideal but will see how babies come out.

A lot of hatcheries sell ducklings as "Hatchery choice" for a slightly lower price. Might have been ordered that way and seller just posted sign as Rouen's. Or ducklings. A lot of places that sell birds don't do a lot of research. Sad when I know more and tell other customers things that they should here from the seller. But I don't mind trying help others out getting into poultry.

My rouen eggs are developing in incubator and she still laying daily just haven't decided how many I want to set before I leave her with a clutch to hatch.

1 thing about ponds/water for them swimming is you have to be careful in cold weather. I have lost a few because they decided to swim and it got to cold and they froze in the pool/pond.

Anyone know if there is much difference between ducks and chickens for inbreeding rules? My 2 I have now and are breeding are full brother and sister 1st generation. I will add a different drake if I end up with a lot of new ducks this year but this is how things worked out this year. Anyway I went w/o buying new birds any eggs were going to end up with some type of inbreeding (Father/daughter. mother son or siblings). Not ideal but will see how babies come out.

Ducks can breed mother to son and father to daughter but can't breed brother to sister.

How do you know how they are related when you get them at the same time from a hatchery?
You never know it's kind of a chance thing. If you try hatching and you end up having lots of babies die before they hatch or after. Or if you end up having defects with ducklings then you should add ducks from different lines into your group. But mostly that doesn't happen. Hatcheries hatch lots of eggs from lots of different ducks so it's rare to end up with ducks that are to closely related.

Hello all! I will be a new 'Duck Mom" in a few weeks- I ordered 2 Rouens, male and female to raise as pets and insect control, however I live on the desert with hot summers- can anyone tell me if they've had experience raising them without grass? Will they do okay? How are they as pets? I hope I chose the right breed- after all my research they seemed like a good choice. I'm thinking of blue swedish or buff orpington or welsh harlequin or cayugas down the line- any or all input would be GREATLY appreciated- your experience and insights will be very helpful! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom