Rouen Duck thread

Pics
I did buy that book and read it all. I think I am over thinking everything. No niacin or brewers yeast the first 2 weeks? I am going to go to a few local feed stores and hopefully one has some duck starter so i dont have to worry about using supplements. do they need any other vitamin supplemets besides the niacin? Also probably a silly question but do you mix the grit with the food or seperate it?

Can't buy any duck feed here at all so I grow all our baby birds on purina start & grow. You should give them only non-medicated starter feed. I don't add grit and they're doing good.

I do give them niacin, sav-a-chick and brewers yeast for the first 4-6 weeks, including the first 2 weeks! Had a bad experience without last year so I won't go without for the health of the birds.
But in the end it's all up to you, everyone has their own special tweaks ;) and will get them with time.

Yeah the medicated kind can make your bird steril

But if the bird does get attacked or is sick the medicated start and grown helps it heal 10 times faster

Huh....where do you get that? Usually the medication is amprolium, which is a coccidistat....not an antibiotic....it will not make them sterile and will not help with infections....it is a thiamin blocker that slows coccidia growth so the bird can develop it's own immunity.

Cllnt

Last edited:
We'll also it made a Muscovy of one steril

It had had a batch before and hatched eggs

Then we fed it medicated start and grow after it was attacked and since then it's been like 3 years and no eggs have hatched from it again .

We'll also it made a Muscovy of one steril

It had had a batch before and hatched eggs

Then we fed it medicated start and grow after it was attacked and since then it's been like 3 years and no eggs have hatched from it again .

That doesn't prove anything...sure the attack didn't cause any ovarian damage? There are lots of possible causes, particularly with a sample size of 1 when millions of other birds have been fed that and there are no other reports of sterility.

Feed stores are one of the last places I look for information.

Clint

Probably beginning middle-ish of March I bought two rouen ducks from tractor supply...still can't figure out what is what...one quacks loud and obnoxious and the other kinda squeaks as it tries to quack...they both have almost identical markings but the one that squeaks head when light hits just right you can see green tint in the feathers.... Would it be safe to assume i have a drake and hen? And also...i feel so helpless the one that quacks walks with a limp and will lift that leg often to take weight off and I noticed it's feet appear to not have fully developed it's webbing is very small and narrow on the favored foot...is there anything I can really do for it? Or will it make due on its own?

The one on left is the one I'm assuming is a drake...?

Look like 2 ducks to me....doesn't look like a drake. I'd like to see the being extended to see the tertial coverts.

Clint

Back
Top Bottom