Rouen Duck thread

He is extremely loud! My runner sounds like a cricket.. My rouen sounds like a trumpet horn! I will try and get audio-sounds just like my moms female rouen..thats why I am confused-white ring I was told was a definite boy, but is loud like a female.
Where did you get them from? Your rouen could be a possible mix if you got them from someone or if you got them from a hatchery or feed store it could just be bad genetics that would cause it to have that white ring. It's a pretty think ring from what I can see and I remember on my male the ring being a lot thinner. There's also a lot of white on it's wings which makes me believe it's either a mix or is just bad coloring.

[/IMG]
Just thought I'd share a few pics of my 4 month old rouens, I'm enjoying them sooo much, they truly have unique personalities, I was curious about the head vibrating and lunging behavior, but they seem to do that when they're happy or excited, so it must be an ok behavior, any thoughts?

I LOVE my ducks! I have 5 Rouen, 5 Pekin and 4 Kahki. I have been hearing some "unusual quacking" coming from the pond over the last week and at night 2 of the Pekin females have had very muddy heads. This morning I saw the male Rouen mating with one of the Pekins. Is that normal? I guess I just assumed that they would breed within their own breeds????

Yeah that's very normal ducks are like dogs , if you put a male lab in with a female border collie in heat is the lab not going to try to mate with the border collie .

Last edited:
I LOVE my ducks! I have 5 Rouen, 5 Pekin and 4 Kahki. I have been hearing some "unusual quacking" coming from the pond over the last week and at night 2 of the Pekin females have had very muddy heads. This morning I saw the male Rouen mating with one of the Pekins. Is that normal? I guess I just assumed that they would breed within their own breeds????

That is very normal, Ducks don't care what breed of duck they are mating.

Is it okay to politely mention that some ducks don't even care what species they are romancing? Sounds kind of funny, but this is a problem some have had with drakes and chickens and that is seriously a risk to the chickens.

I LOVE my ducks!  I have 5 Rouen, 5 Pekin and 4 Kahki.  I have been hearing some "unusual quacking" coming from the pond over the last week and at night 2 of the Pekin females have had very muddy heads.  This morning I saw the male Rouen mating with one of the Pekins.  Is that normal?  I guess I just assumed that they would breed within their own breeds????  

Grrrr this app keeps posting before I'm done!!! Anyway I have 2 male Pekins and 2 female Rouens they had 3 babies last week, guess they are Rou-kins??? Lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom