Rouen Duck thread

My little Rouens outside for the first time. Also meeting one of my muscovy hens.

Last edited:
So...last night I was putting my rouen ducks in the coop and my headlamp shone on the tops of their heads and I think I saw a green sheen in their feathers. They are about 6-7 weeks old (I only have two). Does this mean they are drakes? I don't know what I am going to do if they are both drakes! Please help!

So...last night I was putting my rouen ducks in the coop and my headlamp shone on the tops of their heads and I think I saw a green sheen in their feathers. They are about 6-7 weeks old (I only have two). Does this mean they are drakes? I don't know what I am going to do if they are both drakes! Please help!

I forgot to add that I know I have heard at least one of them quacking, but it's quiet and throaty. I think I heard that the drakes do quack, it's just not a very good one. Or do only the hens quack??

[/IMG]
So...last night I was putting my rouen ducks in the coop and my headlamp shone on the tops of their heads and I think I saw a green sheen in their feathers.  They are about 6-7 weeks old (I only have two). Does this mean they are drakes? I don't know what I am going to do if they are both drakes! Please help!

I'm in the same boat with my two, one quacks like it has a bullhorn and the other is much softer. There's also a size difference the quacker is bigger than the quiet one.
Here is a picture, the possible drake is in the front

Last edited:
Question for everyone. At what age is it safe to turn lights out in a brooder?
I have two seperate brooders with different aged ducks.
4 week olds who are almost as large as my muscovy hens outside, and 1.5-2 week olds in my dining room.

I want to encourage sleeping at night and their light is distracting in my bedroom.

If his bill is a bit more on the yellow side, and he makes more of a raspy whistle sound instead of a loud honking,then I'd say you've got a drake.

Back
Top Bottom