GrassyKnollFarm

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2019
I bought four unsexed ducks last year from TSC. Not knowing breeds, we picked two ducklings I assumed were Pekin and two that I thought may be khaki Campbell or Rouen.
I ended up with two female Buff and two male Rouen ducks. The sweetest ducks ever.
This winter I turned their baby pool upside down so they wouldn’t jump in ice water. A couple weeks after seeing mating behaviors I found 11 eggs. No one was sitting on them so I brought them in and called TSC. I ended up with two ducklings that were incubated from a 7 egg Brinsea. The next week 11 more eggs! Then 3 went missing. Then my flock and all eggs were killed by a weasel. He had a tunnel system under the baby pool! Took one female and left the remaining three dead. I am heartbroken .
Good news my ducklings are 3 weeks old and doing well. They have the Rouen head stripe but are not black and dark brown. More of a lighter brown. No idea of sex but thinking of adding some more while they are young.

Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Please make yourself at home.

This is a useful link of “How to” BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3. I’d suggest including your location using the guide in the link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

byc-duckling.png

hithere.gif
Oh dear, I'm so sorry that happened to you. :hugs
Weasels are just so nasty, I'm glad I don't have them near where I live. You'll definitely need to research how to protect from weasel attacks now that it knows about your happy hunting ground.
Best wishes expanding your flock!

Back
Top Bottom