*~*Runner Duck Club*~*

My silver of course she doesn’t have the dark feet but she to me is gorgeous:love
F3C49DD3-40A3-4696-A86E-21AD5EA712F9.jpeg

I want to introduce you to my new Runner Duck. She is the grey one in the middle. Now you might laugh at her beak (I mean bill) or at her un-webbed feet. But she knows she's a duck!
DSC00867.JPG

This is a true story. My neighbor's coop burned.
IMG9505191.jpg
Four chickens were unhurt and quickly went to a new home. Four hens were hurt and would need nursing before being re-homed. I agreed to nurse them.

Three larger hens hung out together. The fourth, smallest one, was always alone. So when I went to feed my ducks I brought her along. Hard to feed with a hen in your arms - I set her down. She ran to the ducks (of course they ran away at first). But within a couple of hours they accepted her and she was one of the flock. But I couldn't believe my eyes, so I put her back with the hens.

The next day I free-ranged her with the ducks and brought the ducks close to the coop with the three larger hens. She saw the hens and looked, and for a moment stood by the fence. The three hens completely ignored her. The ducks walked off. The ducks barely got about eight feet away. She ran after them..."Wait! Wait for me! Don't leave without me! I'm coming!!!

I tried to put her back with the hens. She would have nothing to do with them. She clearly has decided to be a duck. She even has favorite duck friends now with whom she spends more time.

DSC01051.JPG

I wouldn't have believed it, except that she is making her feelings very clear. She doesn't want to be with the hens. She only wants to be with the ducks.

So: say hello to my new duck (in the middle)! DSC01048.JPG

Attachments

• DSC08974.JPG
    DSC08974.JPG
    687.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC01049.JPG
    DSC01049.JPG
    327.6 KB · Views: 12
What a sweet story she has decided to be a duck! Just make sure your drakes don’t decide to treat her as one

Don't worry about the drakes - this little grey "duck" is dominant over both the ducks and the drakes - she has been in with both. She just pecks anyone who isn't respectful.

My pens include higher objects just the right height for a hen to hop on top - and where the drakes cannot follow.

Even more, it is easy for her to hop over the barrier that separates the drake pen from the duck pen. So she can make her choice of the duck pen or drake pen as she prefers. At night, she has chosen to sleep right on top of the barrier! I think she likes both groups - ducks and drakes - and loves to be in the middle. But it is funny to see her retire in the evening while both groups of ducks are still very active!

But yes, I will keep an eye on her in the spring!

In the photo, she is posing for her picture with three drakes.
DSC00095.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00083.JPG
    DSC00083.JPG
    643.1 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom