Runny Discharge from Eyes

ericaperry

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2017
Marysville, CA
IMG_3799.JPG
IMG_3797.JPG
My EE has clear/yellowish discharge from both of her eyes and her face looks dirty from all the discharge and maybe mucus? I noticed this about two days and her eyes aren't completely shut, she keeps trying to clean off the gunk I guess by preening. She seems a bit lethargic as she doesn't usually let me pick her up but I have been able to handle her and attempt to clean her face. These were taken yesterday and the problem seems to be getting worse as there is a lot more gunk on her face. Any help?? Should I isolate her into the baby brooder ?

Attachments

• IMG_3798.JPG
    IMG_3798.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 1
She is making some weird labored breathing noises and when I let them out to free range she is just standing there opening her beak up like she is gasping for air

Are any of your other chickens exhibiting symptoms? Have you added any new chickens to your flock lately? This looks to be CRD. Go to tractor supply and get Tylan-50 injectable (you'll need needles and syringes to draw it up), give .5 cc orally once a day for 5 days. You can also mix .2 cc of Tylan with 10 cc of saline eye wash in a syringe (sans needle) and rinse her eyes out with that to help clean them out. Vet rx can be used to help improve her breathing.

No, none of my others are showing symptoms. We recently had one pass last week but I didn't see any similar symptoms on her body. Negative on adding any new chickens too. I'll have to stop by a feed store today then after work. Thank you!

Do you know why the hen passed away last week? When one has CRD they all have it, whether they show symptoms or not. It usually will flare up in times of stress. Have your chickens been wormed and checked for mites and lice lately? Has this sick hen lost any weight? Since you said she seems a bit lethargic it would probably be a good idea to get some vitamins into her (I like nutri-drench or poultry cell) and make sure she is eating and drinking well.

No, I have zero idea as to why my other pullet died. She was just laying motionless on the run floor one day :(

None of my girls have been wormed or checked for mites/lice

Back
Top Bottom