Swollen eye shut and hard puss in eye

CshenaeC

Hatching
Aug 17, 2023
Yesterday I found this girl on her perch with a swollen eye and the other side was also shut, I removed her from the flock, I clean her eyes and white hard gunk came out of her eyes, I checked her this morning and can tell shes got more gunk in her eye, unsure what's wrong she was one of my first chickens and I did just purchase new chickens from the markets a just over a week ago. Worried they may have brought something or they've pecked her.
any advice or information would be greatly appreciated

*From Australia *
IMG_1639.jpeg

Welcome To BYC

She has an eye infection. You'll want to continue to treat it by flushing with saline and removing the pus. Put some eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye if you can find that in your pet shop or feed store. You may have to consult a vet since you are in AU.

If she worsens or you have more birds that become sick, then you may need to administer an antibiotic (this is in addition to tending to the eye). Tylan/Tylosin, Tetracyclines and Tiamulin are some common antibiotics used to treat symptoms of respiratory illness.

Did you quarantine the new birds away from your existing flock? Often bringing in new birds introduces disease.

Welcome To BYC

She has an eye infection. You'll want to continue to treat it by flushing with saline and removing the pus. Put some eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye if you can find that in your pet shop or feed store. You may have to consult a vet since you are in AU.

If she worsens or you have more birds that become sick, then you may need to administer an antibiotic (this is in addition to tending to the eye). Tylan/Tylosin, Tetracyclines and Tiamulin are some common antibiotics used to treat symptoms of respiratory illness.

Did you quarantine the new birds away from your existing flock? Often bringing in new birds introduces disease.
Thank you so much for your reply, I'm extremely worried about her, no, unfortunately, I'm new to chickens and only realised that this is a step to take for precautions, I didn't know. Can this be caused by worms or mites? I've had suggestions of this and another has said that it may be a chook has pecked it, or debris in the eye.
Both eyes are now with gunk again (cleaned only two hours ago)
After looking through the forums I'm worried she may have coryza?

Thank you so much for your reply, I'm extremely worried about her, no, unfortunately, I'm new to chickens and only realised that this is a step to take for precautions, I didn't know. Can this be caused by worms or mites? I've had suggestions of this and another has said that it may be a chook has pecked it, or debris in the eye.
Both eyes are now with gunk again (cleaned only two hours ago)
After looking through the forums I'm worried she may have coryza?
If both eyes are affected, then likely you are dealing with respiratory illness.

Is there a bad odor? If so, then it may be Infectious Coryza. To treat Infectious Coryza you will would want to use a sulfa antibiotic.

Unfortunately we had to cull her she was getting weak and she was just slowly dying, it was a certain stench but it wasn't a foul odor. I'm worried it may have been something serious, as I now have another one showing symptoms of a foamy discharge coming from both eyes, she does look swollen but not like the other one.

Unfortunately we had to cull her she was getting weak and she was just slowly dying, it was a certain stench but it wasn't a foul odor. I'm worried it may have been something serious, as I now have another one showing symptoms of a foamy discharge coming from both eyes, she does look swollen but not like the other one.
I'm sorry to hear this.

Are you going to be able to send the body for some testing to find out more?

Back
Top Bottom