Runny nose in adult duck?

coolguy221822

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2015
I was sitting with my duck today when she sneezed and clear liquid came out of her nose. She did It twice. She also laid in the corner of the yard for most of the day. Should I be concerned? Also, due to my current financial status, I cant not afford to go to a vet but I will buy antibiotics if needed.

She sounds like she definitely isn't feeling well. You know, different vets charge different rates for different things, so there might actually be a vet out there that could help you for a little more than the antibiotics would cost.

Otherwise: If it's cold out side it couldn't hurt to get her some place warm until she is feeling better, and better yet away from your other ducks until she is better.

Without knowing exactly what is wrong it is going to be hard to know how to treat her but you might be able to find some broad spectrum antibiotics at your local feed store.

Beyond that I'm not much help.

So overview, Someplace warm quiet and isolated. Make certain vet help is beyond your means. Broadspectrum antibiotics. Good healthy food. (I added that last part ;) )

Edited to add: Sneezing itself isn't so much a big concern if she has only done it once or twice but lack of energy is always something to be concerned about.

Last edited:
She sounds like she definitely isn't feeling well. You know, different vets charge different rates for different things, so there might actually be a vet out there that could help you for a little more than the antibiotics would cost.

Otherwise: If it's cold out side it couldn't hurt to get her some place warm until she is feeling better, and better yet away from your other ducks until she is better.

Without knowing exactly what is wrong it is going to be hard to know how to treat her but you might be able to find some broad spectrum antibiotics at your local feed store.

Beyond that I'm not much help.

So overview, Someplace warm quiet and isolated. Make certain vet help is beyond your means. Broadspectrum antibiotics. Good healthy food. (I added that last part ;) )

Edited to add: Sneezing itself isn't so much a big concern if she has only done it once or twice but lack of energy is always something to be concerned about.
Could sav- a - chick also help?

Could sav- a - chick also help?

Save a chick has vitamins and electrolytes in it I believe so yes start her on some asap. Keep a close watch on her but remember if you keep her inside where it's warm which is a good idea if they are sick but you'll have to slowly acclimate her back into the cool or cold weather. Is she eating pooping and drinking normal? How old?

Save a chick has vitamins and electrolytes in it I believe so yes start her on some asap. Keep a close watch on her but remember if you keep her inside where it's warm which is a good idea if they are sick but you'll have to slowly acclimate her back into the cool or cold weather. Is she eating pooping and drinking normal? How old?
I live in Florida so its not to cold down here. She is pooping normal. She drinks not a lot but enough I guess. They have adequate water, though. She is 8 months old.

If you have any dust, try to keep it down. Make sure your duck house is clean. Make sure it is extremely well ventilated. Reduce any stresses.

I would, at minimum start the Sav-A-Chick supplement asap. I also would give the duck warm (not hot) baths. I'd venture to guess you're dealing with a respiratory infection.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have any dust, try to keep it down.  Make sure your duck house is clean.  Make sure it is extremely well ventilated.  Reduce any stresses.  

I would, at minimum start the Sav-A-Chick supplement asap.  I also would give the duck warm (not hot) baths.  I'd venture to guess you're dealing with a respiratory infection.
Just woke up and gave them sav a chick. It got dirty quickly, though. They still drunk a lot.

Just woke up and gave them sav a chick. It got dirty quickly, though. They still drunk a lot.
How is she acting this morning? Oh I know no way to keep the water clean we just have to hope a little dirt mixed in with the vitamins will still help.
hmm.png

Well...at least dirt has minerals
wink.png
Ducks seem to like dirty water, at least you would think they do
roll.png
. Every duck owner has that battle. It shouldn't affect the vitamins in the least.

Is she looking any better?

Back
Top Bottom