Runt or House Pigeons?

MtnCkn

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 26, 2009
Ok I was looking at the prices for House or Runt pigeons and the are quite high to use for some squab production. Anyone know of some cheap breeders? Thanks

You don't want either of those breeds for squab production. They are much slower growing than true squab breeds, and are less efficient at converting feed into meat. They are expensive for a reason, and they are sometimes tricky to breed, especially for the novice. For squab production you want Carneaus, maybe Kings, or Texan Pioneers.

Yes, Runts and House pigeons have steered more towards Show quality and not so much for production. Although they are huge birds, they just aren't the best for squabbing.

As mentioned, Carneaux, Kings, and Texan Pioneers are the best squabbers now. There are also squabbing homers, which are sorta 'dual purpose', as they can still fly around the house, but have quick growing babies. Two members here have the first three mentioned I believe. I know Yardbird_tx has Texan Pioneers. They're really pretty and they're auto-sexed, so you know what they are from the time they get their feathers. Deerman has Kings and Carneaux I think.

Back
Top Bottom