Russian Orloffs

Considering ROs were bred originally by a Russian they must've been pretty hardy to survive those cold frozen Russian winters.  Our humid climate is the complete opposite and definitely not conducive to thick-feathered breeds.  ROs should do well in your climate as long as they aren't subjected to draft/wind.  I would guess ROs would have about the same expected production as EEs/Amer's for eggs.  Let us know how she does her first year because I understand the 2nd year ROs drop significantly in production.  I'm sure breeders are trying to improve on that but for me, I don't mind a breed that takes lengthy rest breaks from laying to give their bodies a rest and to replenish depleted body nutrients.  I lost a 1[SUP]1/2[/SUP] yr-old Breda hen this summer who layed for 10+ consecutive months without rest and died.  I strongly believe that heavy production exacerbated and contributed to her early demise.  I have increased the variety of nutrition with the new Breda girl we added to make sure every available kind of feed and vitamins will be available to her in case she turns out to be a prolific layer too.  Look forward to your pics and updates.

Thanks for sharing your experience/advice. I hope she has a long life. I too dont mind chickens taking breaks. My first set of chickens i didnt give any added lights and let everyone take their natural break. Unfortunatly we had a bunch of stuff come up at once this spring and we sold them all. So i started over with a new flock this fall. And I will let these girls do the same. I will definatly give updates. She is definatly my favorite personality, as soon as i go sit out there she is the first to come sit on my lap/ or arms. And i love how she is feathering out.

Do you Facebook?  There's a breed group there called Russian Orloff Society of USA and Canada that has a lot of information, including links to breeders.  I can PM you some names if you don't.

Duck foot is where the toe that is supposed to be pointing backwards on chickens, is rotated forward and pointing toward the front (Like a duck's)  It's something that we've been trying to breed out, but still pops up.

Here's a pic on this page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/366393/question-on-silkie-toes-pic/10

You also want birds with beetle brows, yellow legs, short curved beaks and long necks.

Orloffs are great, and I'm glad you are interested in them!

Thanks for the help and link. I dont do facebook, but i will try to look that up . Its funny, cause i had seen pictures of them and loved the way they looked but hadnt considered owning any because i didnt think i would ever find any. So i was pretty excited when i seen this last chick left that day.
Now that i see her personality i certainly can see myself getting more of them in the future. Her personality reminds me of the ameraucanas which are also a favorite of mine. I cant get enough of their puffy cheeks and beards!

Here are a couple pics i took yesterday. I still wish so bad there would have been more of these available. She is my only one and she is my favorite!!

Here are a couple pics i took yesterday. I still wish so bad there would have been more of these available. She is my only one and she is my favorite!!

I am sure you will get more someday. Once you find a breed you really like it's inevitable you'll get more! Happened to me w/ a couple other breeds!

A few new photos of my Orloffs. The white are a project, I sent the solids to Oregon and if they pass muster they will go back to spangles to improve type. Otherwise they'll go to "freezer camp". The semi-whites I kept at home to play with some more.

Approximately 3 month old pullets. Downside of focusing on color, their type is OK but they need more boule and the muff/beard could be thicker.

Some of the ones I kept to play with, 5-6 months old. Really happy with the size on the rooster, he's already about 80% as big as some of my 2-3 year old roosters. These pullets aren't bad sized either.

Pullet, she's almost white but not 100%, has a few spots of color in her tail and hackles.

Another pullet

One of my spangles, possibly the mother of at least a few of these birds. It was a group breeding pen with 2 roosters and 5 or 6 hens so ...

Rooster

Rooster

A few new photos of my Orloffs. The white are a project, I sent the solids to Oregon and if they pass muster they will go back to spangles to improve type. Otherwise they'll go to "freezer camp". The semi-whites I kept at home to play with some more.

Approximately 3 month old pullets. Downside of focusing on color, their type is OK but they need more boule and the muff/beard could be thicker.

Some of the ones I kept to play with, 5-6 months old. Really happy with the size on the rooster, he's already about 80% as big as some of my 2-3 year old roosters. These pullets aren't bad sized either.

Pullet, she's almost white but not 100%, has a few spots of color in her tail and hackles.

Another pullet

One of my spangles, possibly the mother of at least a few of these birds. It was a group breeding pen with 2 roosters and 5 or 6 hens so ...

Rooster

Rooster

I am so appreciative of you for perfecting your chosen rare breed. Your outcome is breathtaking!

I wish I were younger (72 yrs) and in good health and was zoned to facilitate a rare breeding project for my own favorite breed -- Breda. Rare birds need dedicated people like you!

malndobe the boy has turned more Spangled than white. I have two hens are more white with little spangling and a younger cockerel the same. Here he is pictured below.

Your projects are looking good btw.

Back
Top Bottom