Russian Orloffs

Looks like you have a couple with out beard/muff. Are they being picked on by the others?

The Lakenvelder and Hamburg I had before I got these ones have been a bit snippy to the new girls. Nothing too bad though, just establishing the pecking order.
I appreciate the input! I'm very glad someone(s) that has/have experience with the breed is around to give advice.

I think this picture is a closer one of the one in front, comb development is basically nonexistent so far.

The "Splash Orloff" shows white plumage with spots of mahogany and black. How did they do that? Any way you'd like to explain it will be fine with me. (reference: photo at Feathersite) Surely these aren't running around any where in the States?

Spangled from the looks of the cock bird in the picture seems like a spangled with too much white. White is dominant and you will find some of these around although they are not an Orloff variety. it does make for a good white project though.

The Russian Orloff Society of USA and Canada Volume 1-3 newsletter is out. If any one who is not a member would like a copy or all three let me know and I can send it to you.

Oh, they're doing great! I've tried letting them free range a couple of times since the snow melted again, and all but two know to put themselves to bed at dusk.
A couple of them like to pretend they're eagles too!

Very friendly and affectionate birds! (Though I will get a love-nip if I'm too slow with the scratch) ;)

newtnn glad to hear they are doing good. They do tend to be under your feet at all times. Looks like you have a pair there, pullet in first pic & cockerel perched on the hand

Yeah the second one seems to be the oldest and boldest of the group, it also has some more defined tail feathers.
If I do happen to have a cockerel I think I'll be happy about it! (as long as I don't have too many more than one)
Very cool, I'll be sure to keep updating on how they're doing/growing. And also if they start crowing. ;)

I'm pretty certain the second is a cockerel. I believe they start crowing at around 6 months. I didn't hear mine crow till 7 months old but the neighbors started at 6 months & they where from the same hatch.

Back
Top Bottom