Russian Orloffs

Your pullet is likely to be more white, as are all mine, when young. They will go through their juvenile molt and then a few more as they grow into adult hood and lost most of that white. This breed matures over two years, not 8mos like many.

Speaking genetically you might want to use kippenjungle. Reading the articles I have on the genetics all I know off the top of my head is that they are the most varied, and thereby most closely genetically related, to the wild game fowl.

btw the whites are beautiful. Some folks call them splash. They are not ermine expressions. I would like to see some of these bred to full white. Some birds are older and mottling ages to more and more white.

Last edited:
Go to the FB page for the Russian Orloff Society of the US and Canada, they have some information/discussions about genetics.  Not sure if the website has the info, you could try there also.

I am the one who started the recent genetics discussion on the FB page. Unfortunately it seems there is very little known about the genetics behind these birds. That or people just aren't chiming in.

Also to address the white hen thing... No, white is not a sex-linked color. Hens do progressively (roosters too but they don't spangle like hens) whiten with each molt, so the older they are they whiter they can be. Some lines are white(r), but it is not an accepted color as a spangled Russian Orloff should be, spangled.

Except white, is not, in the United States. It is an accepted color abroad, but there are no white LF Russian Orloff IN the US not to mention the SOP that is being worked on is concentrating on... Spangled. Hence my statement. Hopefully that clarifies what I was intending to say.

Except white, is not, in the United States. It is an accepted color abroad, but there are no white LF Russian Orloff IN the US not to mention the SOP that is being worked on is concentrating on... Spangled.

It seems short sighted to limit the new SOP to only what is in the US at this time, when other colors are already in existence in other countries and accepted in their SOPs. If someone goes to the trouble/expense to import these other colors/patterns the birds should be accepted as RO without the SOP needing to be modified.

It seems short sighted to limit the new SOP to only what is in the US at this time, when other colors are already in existence in other countries and accepted in their SOPs. If someone goes to the trouble/expense to import these other colors/patterns the birds should be accepted as RO without the SOP needing to be modified.

I could be mistaken as I am not on the SOP committee, but I'm pretty sure that's the focus last I heard. If you have experience with the path to APA acceptance and own the breed, you should consider joining the Society and helping out.

Back
Top Bottom