Russian Orloffs

malndobe it is not a matter of being short sighted in limiting the SOP to Spangled Orloff only at this time. There is a process in place by the APA to have a breed/variety acepted. The 5 breeders that have bred for 5 yrs etc... That being said, when the time comes for a qualifying meet to accept the breed/variety, there is a specific number of birds in htat breed of said variety that needs to be shown, 200 birds to be exact. Unless someone is going to import 200 White Orloff, I don't see it being a possibility at this time to get them accepted, let alone put in the proposed SOP. That is the reason that only Spangled are being written into the proposed Standard at this time. Once we have other varieties available where breeders are getting their numbers up, it's a matter of adding the proposed variety an submitting it for acceptance. That is with the same requirements of 5 breeder having breed for 5 yrs etc... One thing that the APA changed is that the breeders have to be members of the APA for 5 yrs as well.

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of getting some Russian Orloffs soon. How is their temperament? Are they good with kids? I would be using them as a 4-H project so they would be around people a lot and would have to walk and pose for judges. Do you think that they are too flighty for that?

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of getting some Russian Orloffs soon. How is their temperament? Are they good with kids? I would be using them as a 4-H project so they would be around people a lot and would have to walk and pose for judges. Do you think that they are too flighty for that?

Their temperament is what drew me to owning them and eventually, breeding them. I have kids and I show my RO... They are calm, docile and very food motivated.

Last edited:
[COLOR=333333]malndobe it is not a matter of being short sighted in limiting the SOP to Spangled Orloff only at this time. There is a process in place by the APA to have a breed/variety acepted. The 5 breeders that have bred for 5 yrs etc... That being said, when the time comes for a qualifying meet to accept the breed/variety, there is a specific number of birds in htat breed of said variety that needs to be shown, 200 birds to be exact. Unless someone is going to import 200 White Orloff, I don't see it being a possibility at this time to get them accepted, let alone put in the proposed SOP. That is the reason that only Spangled are being written into the proposed Standard at this time. Once we have other varieties available where breeders are getting their numbers up, it's a matter of adding the proposed variety an submitting it for acceptance. That is with the same requirements of 5 breeder having breed for 5 yrs etc... One thing that the APA changed is that the breeders have to be members of the APA for 5 yrs as well.[/COLOR]

Thank you for clarifying that.

As with any chicken if you are going to use them in a 4-H project then you need to pay them a little attention every day and these are great chickens for this but also as with any rooster they are only roosters and will go at it with any other aggressive rooster but the RO's do not fight as most it is mostly a show of strength and size meaning blood is rarely see they just bump chest and get there hackles all fluffed up but the girls are little angel's
love.gif
and you will often find them under your feet but they are also stubborn and have a mind of their own ....

Just give them some attention and you will have a pet chicken unlike no other ....
D.gif

He made me do this
lau.gif

Alright this is uncalled for I should be outside chasing the lady's
he.gif

Posing for the camera
pop.gif

A 10 week old getting use to posing for the camera
clap.gif

Buddy and his 3 lady's
celebrate.gif

You can bet that none of them wanted to pose the first time
idunno.gif

gander007
old.gif

As with any chicken if you are going to use them in a 4-H project then you need to pay them a little attention every day and these are great chickens for this but also as with any rooster they are only roosters and will go at it with any other aggressive rooster but the RO's do not fight as most it is mostly a show of strength and size meaning blood is rarely see they just bump chest and get there hackles all fluffed up but the girls are little angel's
love.gif
and you will often find them under your feet but they are also stubborn and have a mind of their own ....

Just give them some attention and you will have a pet chicken unlike no other ....

gander007
old.gif

Thank you! I will defiantly spend lots of time with them. It's so great to hear that they are not a flighty breed.

No they are not flighty, but usually very calm and easygoing. My birds all like to be loved one and sometimes I have a hard time getting into the chicken run with them because they all want to come to the door and greet me, makes it hard to get in. They are slow growers so get one, or many, early in the year as a showmanship bird for the best results.

I am the one who started the recent genetics discussion on the FB page. Unfortunately it seems there is very little known about the genetics behind these birds. That or people just aren't chiming in.
There were a number of studies on the genetics completed by large ag institutions in Russia. They are available on line or by sending me a pm

Back
Top Bottom