Russian Orloffs

Pics
Quote:
I think it's gonna be tougher to find the "true spangled orloff" because there have been that sussex crossed in. Your best bet on that would be a breed who has done their own breeding and reduced the white legs to a minimal or none altogether. As far as eggs goes, I've read most reports to be a light tan.

Quote:
I think it's gonna be tougher to find the "true spangled orloff" because there have been that sussex crossed in. Your best bet on that would be a breed who has done their own breeding and reduced the white legs to a minimal or none altogether. As far as eggs goes, I've read most reports to be a light tan.

Thank you so much!

My husband and I got 2 Orloffs as a complete impulse buy at the Ohio Nationals, in November 2010. They were about 3-4 months old then and the woman selling them (maybe you are on this thread) said she was selling them because they didn't meet the breed standard, having feathers on their legs. We knew nothing about the breed. Now it is 3 months later and we are pretty sure one is a rooster and the other we are hoping is a hen. Unfortunately, it is illegal to keep roosters where we are but we plan to keep him as long as we can because we LOVE these two birds. They are quite at home with our other 14 hens (lot of different breeds) and they are best buddies with each other, almost inseparable. So we would love feedback from those more expert with the breed and with chickens in general (still in our first year of learning). Are these decent looking Orloffs despite the one's scattered small feathers on the legs? They have the personality and the stature that I have read about. Can he not be used for breeding because of these feathers? I assume these two are siblings - does that rule out breeding to each other? Thanks for your feedback. Nancy

Rooster in foreground:

54828_img_5321.jpg

Rooster:

54828_img_5439.jpg

Rooster:

54828_img_5389.jpg

Foot feathers on rooster:

54828_img_5326.jpg

Pullet?

54828_img_5375.jpg

Double check your laws. Some counties say no rooster unless your neighbors are okay with it. It's basic noise ordinance laws in most places. If he starts crowing, you can talk to your neighbors and promise them that you will remove him the first time they ask or leave an anonymous note on your door. Some people love hearing the sound and feeling like they live in the country. Also double check if there is actually a fine, usually there isn't.

I am still new at this but I think they supposed to have NO white on the tips of their wings. And no more than 1/2 inch white strips throughout. It doesn't mean he can't be used for breeding. But he could not be bred with a hen that has the same flaws. And certainly not with his sister who will carry the same flaws in her genes.

A lot of his coloring could change after a molt though. So it's possible that the previous owner gave him up due to the feathering on his feet thinking that wouldn't go away.

This might help...
Disqualifications: Combs other than rose; decidedly wry tails; crooked backs; pure white in any part of the plumage extending over one-half of an inch, or two or more feathers tipped or edged with positive white.

Me, me, me!!!
frow.gif
:frow:frow

Quote:
I can't WAIT til you have eggs!

I'll be moving my rooster into the breeding pen probably next week....and then I'll need a "tester."
wink.png

Quote:

One of the lines of birds I have is an imported line from Germany. They were brought over in the 80s and have been a closed flock ever since. I'm excited to get going on this line this spring....they look a world apart from most of these otherwise hatchery-derived birds.

I will pay for fertile hatching eggs or baby chicks! I am still searching for another good line to add to my Tinstar Farm line.

~Stone Cottage Heritage Farm~

Quote:
I can't WAIT til you have eggs!

I'll be moving my rooster into the breeding pen probably next week....and then I'll need a "tester."
wink.png

Quote:
No, this is not correct. This is from the standard that only described black birds.

Varying amounts of white in a spangled Orloff is no big deal.

AND, I am SO excited to see the feathers between the toes! I can't remember where I found it now, but it was one of the older documents that described those feathers! That, to me, says these are probably more pure than many lines of Orloffs out there and I would be PROUD of them! In fact, I would love to have them. Could you possibly share with me in PM who they came from?

Edited to add that you would do just fine to breed them. And when you do, if you want to test your egg shipping skills, I will gladly buy some!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom