Rusted waterer

olesoftie

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 21, 2012
Can you use water containers that have rust in them?? I've cleaned them as much as I can to get out the rust. These are the galvanized waterers.

I would shy away from using a galvanized container that has rusted. There is zinc in the galvanized coating. There is a thin oxide layer there, and in turn the zinc protects the iron, which is now rusting. Zinc can be toxic to poultry. You shouldn't use vinegar, chlorine and even salt can make pin holes on galvanized metal to which causes more rust.

I would pitch them and invest in new ones.

I used galvanized "hog feed pans" for waterers for my chickens and they started rusting so I pitched them and got some plastic ones, a couple bucks more but they dont rust and they are bendable so if they freeze solid you can knock the ice out and refill the bowl

JUST BUY A CAN OF THE SPRAY PAINT FOR PLASTIC AND SPRAY AND THEY WILL STILL BE USEABLE.

Last edited:
JUST BUY A CAN OF THE SPRAY PAINT FOR PLASTIC AND SPRAY AND THEY WILL STILL BE USEABLE.

The container is going to need a lot of preparation just to paint it, what with all the rust. And the paint is not going to adhere for very long and may still leach zinc into the water. So...why spend money on paint, when you can spend the same money on a new water container.

Last edited:
The container is going to need a lot of preparation just to paint it, what with all the rust. And the paint is not going to adhere for very long and may still leach zinc into the water. So...why spend money on paint, when you can spend the same money on a new water container.

i'm with twocrows, just buy a new one, a plastic one would be better, that way you can just put it in the dishwasher

Ya, I bet buying a new one would save the hassle, and be safe, A plastic water is good too. A bycer said something about putting the plastic waterers in a dish washer. I never thought of that. I am never gonna bleach those waterers again. Thanks for that wonderful info.

Plastic doesn't work for us. The freezes are too hard even with a heater and cracks the plastic. We stay with the metal and deal with the rust by changing water morning and night. Maine cold can be brutal.

Plastic doesn't work for us. The freezes are too hard even with a heater and cracks the plastic. We stay with the metal and deal with the rust by changing water morning and night. Maine cold can be brutal.
I think Bleach was mentioned and that's right.Clorox and metal is a no no, it will eat up most metals .Wash with soap and water and rinse well.There are disinfectants that are not corrosive..Consider OXINE it is considered low corrosion to no ..Maybe alchol was well with soap and water after use...cva34

Back
Top Bottom