S-p-u-r-r-e-d

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will probably sound strange and unorthodox, but... I train chickens. I have spent all of the past two years just hanging out with my chickens, rescuing, rehabilitating, and rehoming chickens, and specifically working with roosters. I have found almost ALL presumptions of roosters being aggressive without warning, crowing all day ( and night ) long, being dominant and naturally "mean" to all be false. These are all manifestations of frustrated roosters who, because of lack of social interaction with their human, find it upon themselves to take on dominating roles to keep the flock safe. I currently have two roosters and three hens - a ratio most would baulk at - with NO issues whatsoever. One of the roosters is a bantam mutt, and the other is 3/4 Rhode Island Red and 1/4 Barred Plymouth Rock - they were NOT raised together. Neither of them crow unless they're out of food or water, when outside and facing danger, they alert to the danger and then run to me and hide behind me, when faced with new situations, they look up to me and react based on how I act. Why are my roosters acting so... un-rooster-like? Because from a very young age, I have conveyed my dominance to them in a manner that they understand, and have conveyed that as a dominant "chicken", myself, they have nothing to worry about, nothing to fear, nothing needs to be taken care of that I haven't already taken care of... they need not worry as they are safe, well taken-care-of, comfortable, and happy. I convey dominance by disciplining unwanted behaviours by placing one hand on the chicken's back, and the other hand gently pinches the back of the neck just behind the comb, and pushes the head to the ground. This is how chickens naturally convey dominance to one another, and the hand on the back simply ensures that they do not struggle and hurt themselves. Sometimes if they are just continuing to be little butts ( such as two Campine roosters I fostered ), I give them "jobs". In the case of the Campines, I trained them for agility. They LOVED doing their jobs, and they quickly stopped crowing as much, and their aggression levels diminished almost entirely - even with the other roosters! Another little rooster ( a D'anver mutt ) had the job of eating all the bugs in my room - I'd set him up on my hockey stick and walk around my room, getting him to flap his wings as to get all the cobwebs out of the corners, and to peck away all the bugs. His behaviour changed in a VERY positive manner as well.

My Rhode Island boy's job is keeping me safe. When he was about five months old, he began alerting me to when I started having anxiety and panic attacks. He began to make a noise very distinct from any other noise, that coincided with when I came into that frame of mind. He also rides the handlebars of my bike and makes that noise when I stop paying attention to the road and what's around me. He travels in a satchel with me on the bus, and is well-known to many of the local businesses, and loves the travel. I'm yet to think of a good job for the little bantam mutt, but so far he just gets taken out and tossed around when he's acting up. He is still young enough that I am tolerance training him, so his training is his job, I guess?

Now I know not everyone has the time or energy to do this - especially professional farmers, but I have never had any need to ever kick or hit a rooster, and I've even dealt with adult, human aggressive roosters that I've managed to tame enough to have them sleep on the foot of my bed! Very little time is taken out of your day to "dominate" your rooster in a way that he will understand ( neck pinch, push back down - done any time an undesirable behaviour takes place ), and that gives you and your rooster a lifetime of confidence that you will never be spurred or bitten again, and he knows and trusts you as a gentle but strict, dominant presence. I can also guarantee that this approach makes catching and slaughtering WAY easier, too! I have slaughtered and eaten three roosters so far - all owned by my house mate, but trained by me.

Before I'd take spurs off I'd just round them off with a dremel tool. They make little battery powered dremels that are more quiet, for trimming dogs' nails. That way you might get a bruise but not a puncture.

Quote:
I love the idea of giving them jobs. Clearing the cobwebs while astride a hockey stick.. haha love it!

Quote:
The first chicken I ever gave a job was actually a little pullet who would scream and scream whenever I left the room! When she was about a month old she and her siblings were attacked by a dog, and all of her siblings were eaten, but she managed to get away and hide in a spare computer case of mine. Thus, understandable why she would be so clingy, but I still don't allow animals to hold onto such neurosis, so she was given a job. It helped her a whole lot to have something purposeful to do. I even taught her that when a bug was above her, I'd say, "Up!" and she'd look up. I even taught her left and right!

I sure hope I did not come off as too offended or tut-tut in my post! I also absolutely must say that I agree with trimming or filing a rooster's spurs. I am definitely going to try the plier or hot potato method on my big rooster sometime soon since be has no need for big spurs, being a pet and all. Little boy's spurs have barely budded past his legs, so I'm not worried about trimming him yet. Even though they are well trained, I see no reason in allowing their spurs to grow out since they can just cause issues in the long run. I just wish there was a method to neuter them that wasn't so risky to their well-being as caponizing! Not that I disagree with the procedure, it's just the way the chicken's anatomy is built that makes it so risky... and the fact that not many vets practice the procedure in this area and time.

Out of curiosity, what are the risks (aside from injury to owner/hen) of a rooster having his spurs, untrimmed and all? All of my roos have always had full spurs and I've never had an issue. Periodically, some of the outer sheath of one will come off on its own harmlessly to shorten them. But all of my boys always had big spurs and I never had a problem with injured hens or health problems for the roos.

I have Brahma roos and have never had a problem with spurs. Their's are just small, fat, and dull. Is it just that Brahmas don't have big spurs? My main roo, Rocky, is over 3 years old. He will flog me with his wings sometimes but his toenails are longer than his spurs.

Honestly I don't think the worst danger with untrimmed rooster spurs is to us humans. The hens are who I worry about. I keep my boys' spurs dulled or removed. I find oil or lotion helps loosen the cuticle before twisting like described above. Plus my guys seem to mellow out while having lotion rubbed all around their shanks.

From what I understand - and that is quite limited since my expertise focuses on treating wounds, training, and psychology - the risks of having long spurs is several. First and foremost is what this topic is about - that an aggressive rooster could harm a person, a child, or another animal. They can also unintentionally harm hens when mating them by accidentally gouging their sides while trying to grip. Another problem is to themselves - if spurs get too long, they can inhibit a rooster's ability to walk and run, or even perch!

Also yes, different breeds of chickens grow spurs at different rates. Check out the book "Extraordinary Chickens" - it has a section on spurs! In the mean time, check these out:

[link] <-- The original article cites these spurs as being eight inches long!!

[link] <-- Check out how this chicken has TWO spurs on one leg! The other leg does not seem to mimic this instance.

I did a quick internet search on what's bad about letting your rooster's spurs grow out, but I couldn't find any actual articles on it, just posts from people talking about things mentioned above. Personally, I trim my rooster's spurs just because as pets, they really don't need them and I prefer the look of smaller or absent spurs.

Last edited:
Quote:
It's really easy. Just hold the rooster up against your body with one arm and with the other you just grab it and pop it off. It shouldn't scare them or hurt them, but some roosters are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom