S-p-u-r-r-e-d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louieandthecrew

I am actually a female!
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
God placed me in this world
The other day I walked into the coop and, as I closed the gate, my rooster spurred me. This, though, is not what my thread is about. The spur went in fairly deep and I put some alcohol in it and viola- it was (and is) fine. But, the real meaning of this thread is to give some of you people a heads up. Being in America, for some of us winter has just started to close up. That means no more long pants, layers, tall boots, etc. So, this is just a warning. Without all of those 'protecting' things to back you up, spurring can be painful and very dangerous to humans! Please, be careful and make sure your rooster knows that it's you walking in, and you are now in control. Don't be afraid to kick or smack your rooster if he hurts you. You may love him, but he can NOT be in control over you. Show him who's boss!
So, stay safe this beautiful summer, show him who's boss, and make sure those spurrs have been pulled off, because they WILL grow back, but if it hurts with 'em off, it must really hut with 'em on!
-Louieandthecrew

thumbsup.gif

Ouch, glad your healing up.
I would be eating some bbq chicken if one tried that with me.
wink.png

Ofcourse, I love home grown bbq birdies.
tongue.png

Thanks for the dreaded anticipation
lol.png
Just kidding! Mine get to keep their spurs until they show their, ahem, tail feathers. I only got it once last year and I still have a six inch long scar. I keep the oil and some pliers back at the coop so its not something I put off if it needs to be done.

Watch out for infection. Puncture wounds from spurs frequently become infected. Hope you're lucky.

The roos are all worked up and ready for spring. All of you who read my "rooster story" should already know this.
roll.png

Thanks Louieandthecrew, hopefully people will heed the warnings. Love your roos but never trust them too much.

Edited for typos
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Spurs can tear through pants legs, too, lacerating your skin.

I'm all for removing the sharp, little weapons. The spur is just a series of cutaneous layers that build up over time over a little fleshy core. Get some pliers ready. While holding the roo's top half firmly, with his head under your left arm, lay him on his side in your lap with his legs out in front of you. Grasp the spur firmly, but not so hard you're crushing it, at the base close to his leg. Twist very gently and slowly back and forth until you feel the spur loosen. With your fingers, resume twisting until you have the hollow spur loose from the little nub inside. Just pull it off, and do the other one. If your fingers are strong, you won't even need pliers.

It doesn't hurt the rooster at all. There may not be but a drop of blood. The fleshy nub, as big as your finger tip, will harden in a day or so and grow back in a year.

Ouch. I got spurred last year - He was trying to spur another rooster, and accidently

got me. I almost got staff. Not bad, but bad enough that I

Was put on antibiotcs. When we told the nurse how I got the big punture,

Her face went blank, then she said "He pecked you?!"

"No, he flogged me"

"...... docter will be in here in a minute :hmm *walks off*"

Luckily the docter knew what roosters can do, he had chickens at one time.

Where he spurred you, keep it CLEAN. 'member a chicken scratches around in the dirt all day.
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom