Sad chooks

Annabella

Songster
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
I am fed up with tattered gardens and poop and made the decision to pen up my 4 girls.
Now the Red Sisters don't mind but the other two are depressed, I think.

They have only ever free ranged their entire lives; I feel bad for them but I am hoping they will adjust.

Have ordered another pen so they don't have to share with the Reds but I am hoping they won't die from depression... do you think chooks can die from depression???

Yes they can, but I am betting they will adjust to the new digs. Don't worry just yet.

Most critters live in the present. They don't dwell on the past.

Look at it this way. Your chickens are better off than my peacocks. I am seriously considering going after them with a shotgun. I can't catch them and they have completely destroyed my flowers. The last straw was when they denuded my beautiful lush hosta. They had left it alone until now.

Don't give them human traits---just asking for trouble:)
Not sure where you live but you can 'set them free' once fall arrives, or come up with a portable run solution pretty cheaply and easily--with just four hens it wouldn't cost much at all, 3-4 of those step-in fence posts (about $2 each @TSC), and a 15-20 foot piece of fencing (I'd go with 4' high if possible), wire tie the fence to the posts and let them out for a bit in greener pastures when you are around to keep an eye on them...and potential predators. If you let them free range before, this is a little safer, but mostly for peace of mind (for you:) you could set them free (and still keep your gardens safe.

I wouldn't feel too badly! We built a walk in run to both preserve our garden and also keep the girls safe when we are out later than expected. They've adjusted well so far. We've added a chicken swing and next we'll add a ladder to help keep them entertained.

Seriously, someone is probably going to think I work for the electric poultry netting folks, but I don't - really!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom