Sad Mama Duck...

DowntonDucks

Hatching
Jun 15, 2015
Our beautiful Ancona has been sitting on a nest of 6 eggs for almost 3 weeks. Her nest and all the eggs were just destroyed by crows...grrrrrrrrrr. Since she never hatched any, how long before she begins laying eggs again?

She is the duck on the right.

Our beautiful Ancona has been sitting on a nest of 6 eggs for almost 3 weeks. Her nest and all the eggs were just destroyed by crows...grrrrrrrrrr. Since she never hatched any, how long before she begins laying eggs again?

She is the duck on the right.
Welcome to BYC

How did the crows get to the nest, are they brave enough to go inside a building?
She may begin to lay again in a 2-3 weeks, try and make her a nice quite out of the way nesting spot inside where the crows can't go and any other predator for that matter. Beautiful ducks

No, she nested outside between some trees. They are very much free range. I've not had them for very long...about 45 days or so, and they do not yet have indoor accommodations. Still trying to figure that all out.

No, she nested outside between some trees. They are very much free range. I've not had them for very long...about 45 days or so, and they do not yet have indoor accommodations. Still trying to figure that all out.
I hate to say it but unless you live where there are no predators your going to lose them all eventually, Predators will come and once they find an easy meal will pick off each one. We have a duck house and pen thread go to the search at top of page type it in and you'll see lots of ideas on keeping them safe.

We are in the city and don't have predators except for the crows, owls, an occasional hawk. They forage and are free range all day in a lush yard that is 6' fenced all around. They aren't "cuddle ducks" in the sense that they are NOT willing to be picked up and are difficult to corral. Thank you for the direction to the house and pen thread.

Back
Top Bottom