Sagitta Breed - Looking for Info

Some say..... They may go broody once they lay or are put on eggs..... Who knows.. If one DOES go broody, hopefully I will have fertile eggs to put under her.....
Somehow, I will have to watch the Roo and make sure he is servicing the girls.... HAHAHAHAHAHA.... Does that make me a PERVERT..

Some say.....  They may go broody once they lay or are put on eggs.....  Who knows..   If one DOES go broody, hopefully I will have fertile eggs to put under her.....   
Somehow, I will have to watch the Roo and make sure he is servicing the girls....   HAHAHAHAHAHA....   Does that make me a [COLOR=EE82EE]PERVERT[/COLOR]..
:lol: A voyeur more likely. ;)

We have had these for almost a year. They are easy to get along with and do start laying I think at 17-18 weeks. We're just learning but have been pleased. We have 14 hens and a Rooster. We get 9-13 large brown eggs every day. I'm about to purchase an incubator and try to hatch some. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the local farm I got them from told me the hens would not sit and i haven't noticed any of the hens trying to sit on eggs. Since I'm learning and have only owned this particular breed of chicken I'm not sure if I would even know whether or not a hen was "broody" or not.

We lost one hen when her chest appeared to just turn loose and fall down . We also lost one rooster during the summer, it gets hot in East Texas. He had no signs of injury and was just laying dead against the barn when I went to put them up for the night. Some folks said maybe a snake bite.

Anyway, with my limited knowledge of chickens i am pleased with this breed and intend to hatch some soon.

Last edited:
Well it's been almost a year, ten months I believe and we can not be more happy with our girls. None have gone broody, wish they had lol, but nope. They lay every day! Maybe missing one time a week. There gentle, good girls and my sons baby girls.
1f60a.png

Has anyone had their Sagitta hens for more than a year?
I wonder how they do as they get older. I have just ordered 9 of the Sagitta for my first flock.

I picked up my Sagitta chicks this afternoon.
I ordered 15 chicks; 3 were Special Black pullets, 3 were Brown pullets and the last 9 of which were straight-run Sagittas. Can you pick them out of the pack? 1 is chipmunk colored ...

Here is a 6 week picture of my chicks. mostly feathered and getting big. They just went into the new big coop.

I believe I have 3 Sagitta roosters and the mystery chipmunk chick is most likely also a rooster (he is the monster in front giving me the eye). At least only 4 have much development in the comb and wattle department. Chip is a friendly fellow and likes to perch on DH's arm/hand/ whatever is offered. The little brown girl next to him I my smallest and feisty-est chicken. she likes to sit on your hand, but also likes to bite... The blacks like to scratch in the shavings and get them everywhere - they are going to be good free-range chickens I bet.
The Sagitta are growing much bigger/faster than the 6 egg layers. Easy to pick them out as they have huge, thick. sturdy legs.
The Sagitta are all the redish brown color and the special browns are the 3 with white feathers.

I am making the roost for their coop - it will only be 2 foot high. LOL! DH says make one 16" for the big heavy Sagittas, and one at 24" for the egg layers.

How high can a Sagitta fly up to?

I am trying to keep them out of the "ventilation" (aka draft area). This coop has more ventilation than I thought it would. A pretty good breeze is flowing through there some days - gotta get a handle on that before winter gets here.

Back
Top Bottom