Sagitta Breed - Looking for Info

Anytime a new egg and meat bird crops up on the newly developed breed list, you can bet attention will be drawn to it. You really need to throw caution to the wind on this one as the promoter has little information backing the history behind the makings nor have they shared it as yet. One of the first things they did was to throw down a challenge glove to anyone daring it to be an unrepeatable hybrid cross much like a black sex link.
All things deserve a look but if I was spending time and money on a good egg and meat bird, I would be looking elsewhere.

Seems to me, a considerable amount of time and $$ expense went in to the production of this breed.... That, to me, signifies a quality breed of chicken... Somewhat different than "backyard crosses" that are used in "home" egg and meat production on a routine basis....
Not saying one is better than the other... Just the progression to the final "breed" has some merit to it....

http://www.sunnysidehatchery.com/pricing.aspx

https://www.dunlaphatchery.net/birds/Standards/standards.aspx

http://www.centurionpoultry.com/plg_sagitta.pdf

Anytime a new egg and meat bird crops up on the newly developed breed list, you can bet attention will be drawn to it. You really need to throw caution to the wind on this one as the promoter has little information backing the history behind the makings nor have they shared it as yet. One of the first things they did was to throw down a challenge glove to anyone daring it to be an unrepeatable hybrid cross much like a black sex link.
All things deserve a look but if I was spending time and money on a good egg and meat bird, I would be looking elsewhere.

It's my understanding that there are different lines of sagitta out there. Centurion owns the parent stock & others are marketing their own birds as sagittas from crossing the 3 breeds used to create them. I'm hearing mixed reviews & I surmise this is due to other hatcheries/backyarders trying to cash in on this market.

I would advise anyone interested in these birds should do their homework before purchasing. They may well be the right bird for some people.

I purchased 10 Sagitta hens and a rooster from our local poultry dealer. These Sagittas DO breed true, however I'm told the hens seldom become broody, so if I wanted to continue and enlarge my flock, I'd have to hatch the eggs in an incubator. I agree there is very little information about this breed but according to my local poultry dealer they are excellent layers and also good meat birds. My are very docile and are already laying @ 17 weeks. I'm glad, so far, that I went with the Sagittas.

We got the tiniest eggs ever from these girls, and a month later they are laying large size eggs. They are laying everyday, and are sweet and gentle. Even as chicks they never let the big girls bother them, they foraged and enjoyed mixing in out in the yard and were smart enough to stay clear of those who would harm them. With in 2 months they were mixing in and still hold there own. They are not agressive at all, but the others instinctily know not to mess with them. I will be getting more next year to replace my Oder hens.

I purchased 10 Sagitta hens and a rooster from our local poultry dealer. These Sagittas DO breed true, however I'm told the hens seldom become broody, so if I wanted to continue and enlarge my flock, I'd have to hatch the eggs in an incubator. I agree there is very little information about this breed but according to my local poultry dealer they are excellent layers and also good meat birds. My are very docile and are already laying @ 17 weeks. I'm glad, so far, that I went with the Sagittas.

My poultry guy suggested Wyandotte's for broody hens.... his are "very" broody.... Sooooo, I have 2 Wyandotte's coming with the 5 Sagittas to hatch the eggs.... if that comes to fruition.... Not sure of the "Color" as of yet... Had to wait to see which breed laid eggs and what hatched at his hatchery..... Blue, Gold or Silver...... Not sure it matters to me..... Of course, I don't know squat so the chicken breeder is the "go-to" for answers....

I decided I wasn't going to hatch and brood chicks..... If the hens can do it..... why should I get involved.... they know best anyway....

Just a guy taking the easy way out I guess.....

My poultry guy suggested Wyandotte's for broody hens....   his are "very" broody....  Sooooo, I have 2 Wyandotte's coming with the 5 Sagittas to hatch the eggs....  if that comes to fruition....  Not sure of the "Color" as of yet...   Had to wait to see which breed laid eggs and what hatched  at his hatchery.....    Blue, Gold or Silver......   Not sure it matters to me.....   Of course, I don't know squat so the chicken breeder is the "go-to" for answers....

I decided I wasn't going to hatch and brood chicks.....   If the hens can do it.....   why should I get involved....  they know best anyway....  

Just a guy taking the easy way out I guess.....
Sounds like a good plan. On brooding...I feel broody hens are best. It's not just taking the easy way out - its natural & I prefer it as well. I don't always have a broody when I need her though. :p

Back
Top Bottom