SAHM tips....Money saving tips??

BTW---

local newspaper sunday for a coupon for a FREE Frozen Strawberry Lemonade at McDonald's. Look in the Parade or USA Weekend section.
smile.png

Enjoy!!

Some thing i havnt seen is there is nothing wrong with a regift. Just make sure its not to the sender.
wink.png
ive saved lots of money this way and keeps clutter i wont use down. Double on kids toys? Bday party gifts stuff like that

Quote:
Hehehe ......... I do this, too. Especially, when I have no idea where the gift came from and don't want to waste time figuring it out. And it's always nice unused things that I've regifted.

That reminds me -- This is true all year long, but especially at Christmas I make gifts instead of going crazy and buying gifts for everyone and their neighbor like I used to. I can jams, salsa, and other specialty items during the summer and then I have a quick gift to give anytime. At Christmas, for example, I will give jam and homemade bread out. I also make tablerunners and aprons for gifts. The grandparents now get a homemade gift and a new picture of the kids. They have everything! And I hated it that I used to just buy something that didn't necessarilly fit that person because I felt I had to. We've all received those types of gifts -- really this reminded you of me?
gig.gif
Or were you just buying to so you bought something? A homemade gift is specialized and most everyone enjoys it!

I make cookies for friends and fam for christmas. I bake all month lol. I also give lotto tickets to family cuz what else is there. My sis bro and i only buy for the neices/nephews. None of us has extra $ i made wood piggy banks for all neices and nephews. The count there is now 7. Also just a few small things other holidays. I have my kids make or decorate something for their grandparents. Every holiday i tell my dh to not worry about me. Im happy to be home with the kids. I find anyway i can to save. You will enjoy the home time even though at times you may want to pull your hair out lol. Good luck

Quote:
ahhhh, I'm a Dr. Laura Listener and I know what she would say about you letting your boss down... something like-but you've been letting your family down by not being home and instead spending your energy working... I think Dr. Laura tends to be blatent and a little too negative but I agree that your family's needs should take precedent over your bosse's needs. Your obligation always lies with your children never your boss.

I am all for staying at home, even if you have to make a million sacrifices--my mom was a single mom, she raised 5 girls and she had to work full time plus over time--I am the youngest and I REALLY did not get to spend that much time with her at all--and believe me she tried so hard! I can't imagine how much more I could have learned if she had been able to stay home and not be so totally exhausted when she was home. My sisters are all older by 13-9 years than I am, and when they were younger, my mom was able to stay at home with them--and man do I envy all the stories they have and all the christmas ornaments they made with our mom and all the picnics and games and household projects they remember... I didn't get that and I feel jealous still... Please stay home with your kids if its even slightly possible...Any memory you have from work cannot possibly compare to a memory made with your family.

On a different note, the netflix game console only allows you to see certain movies, generally the 2ond tier movies--AND-- a whole bunch of very dirty, gross, creepy and questionable content movies!!! My husband and I only watch movies together because sometimes the descriptions are insufficient and the movie turns out to be more like rated x than rated r--we generally turn it off when it gets that bad... I don't want this available when i have children...especially if they use the game console!

Additionally- I suscrible to living on a dime newsletter... livingonadime.com, its like a little support system and has FANTASTIC tips about how to save and reuse everything, I consider it a companion to BYC... I also clip coupons and watch out for sales---I amd VERY familiar with all my local grocery store's prices on the basics... I can tell you from memory how much milk, eggs, butter, ground beef, and all the staple vegitables cost at the regular prices at each store...

One more thing to add...about doing all the shopping in one day: I sometimes draw up a little diagram (so I don't miss any stops) and I make my stops in a clockwise circle so everything can be a right turn if possible -this saves time and gas. I'm a big list and map maker...maybe its a sickness, but I do it a lot.

Cackey -- some free family entertainment ideas for you and everybody else.

Check out your local library. Not only do they, obviously, have books, but also programs for infants through teens. Ours has special teen programs (my kids are too young, so haven't checked those out), free movies in the theatre area (G, PG, and are showing PG-13 Harry Potter series this summer), special reading circles -- age appropriate, free craft making, etc, and a summer reading program.

We also have a nature center that is free to walk through. They have many trails to walk and historical areas (maple sugar house, 1800s homestead complete with live animals, schoolhouse), and a few other free events throughout the year. My kids absolutely love visiting the homestead and schoolhouse! Usually there are volunteers on hand to reenact for them or at least give info about the time period, toys played with, cooking, gardening, farming, etc.

Sometimes our community center has free swimming lessons condensed down in to a week -- usually around spring break. So you would be taking them M-F for a week, but it is a free class that otherwise costs $70.00 per person. Usually their classes are once a week for a 6 week period.

Wow I don't even know what to say other than thanks but somehow that seems inadequate! Everyone of you is awesome and thank you for all the great suggestions. When I get some free time (haha) I am going to write these all down for easier reference but it's nice to know they are all right here. I am feeling a little less scared each day and right now I think it's more like I am overwhelmed with all the ideas swimming around in my head!! My brain is on overload. I am very glad that I opened this thread because I really think it has probably helped more people than me. I would hope that we could keep it open and going and just continue to add our suggestions and tips!!! Again I can't say how much I appreciate all the posts! Man I love BYC! Who would have thought that I would get more than chicken advice here???
smile.png

Okay Doodle I fished up my recipe for pizza crust (was lost in boxes due to moving and being sick I can't remember anything right now
he.gif
)

2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Stir all ingredients well in medium bowl until dough leaves side of bowl. (If dough is dry, add 1 to 3 tablespoons milk.) Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; gather into ball. Knead 10 times. Cover with bowl; let stand for 15 minutes. Roll out to fit cookie sheet or pizza pan. Layer sauce and toppings then bake til edges of crust are at desired doneness (ours is usually 15-20 minutes at 375).

You can also use whole wheat flour in this recipe and olive oil instead of vegetable (my fiancee prefers the olive oil when he makes it) And we also make garlic bread out of this by kneading in garlic powder, oregano and parsley it adds flavor to pizza crust as well which make my kiddo eat it down to the last bite. And for an extra treat sometimes we will roll it a bit larger than the pan and sprinkle cheese into the edge of the crust and seal it. Homemade stuffed crust nom!
droolin.gif

Good luck and sorry it took me a day or two to find my recipe book

Quote:
Wow that's an easy recipe!! I am surprised there is no yeast in it. Does it rise ok when you make it into garlic bread? No worries on taking a couple days. I am just thankful that you posted it!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom