Salmon Fav. x Silkie Question ?

stormylady

Songster
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Illinois
I bred my Salmon Faverolle with my silkie hens,
I have 3 cockerals and 6 pullet chicks.

1. All of the young Cockerals are colored like the Sal. Fav Roo and the pullets are colored like the Sal. Fav. hens.
2. they all have the 5 toes.
3. they all have white legs
4. they all have feathered legs
5. they all have top hats, top knots. whatever its called.
big_smile.png

6. They are all super soft but not silkie feathered.

What I would like to get them to be like is .

1. A larger sized fowl, right now they are slightly larger than the Silkie Moms, There ages are 4 months down to 2 months.
2. I would like them to be good Broodies.
3. I would like them to have more of the silkie feathering , but keep the Salmon Fav. coloring.

So how would I go about this?

Breed the pullets back to the Salmon Fav Roo ?
Breed the cockerals back the Silkie Hens ?

I don't have any Salmon Fav. Hens to breed into the mix.

If I were to breed the Cockerals to
the pullets would I wind up with the same type chicks as The Mixed parents?

Genetic's I just don't get.
big_smile.png
If anyone can help me I would appreiate it! Thanks Sandy

Last edited:
For silkie feathering, breed the offspring back to a silkie, or breed the cockerels to the pullets. What colour of silkie hens did you use?

For larger size, might breed back to faverolles, just expect that when you do you will have to re-breed the offspring to a bird carrying at least one copy of silkie feathering to re-introduce silkie feathering. It is recessive, and does not show without two copies being present in the bird.

I don't know enough about the color genetics of SF and you did not mention the color of your Silkies, so I can't help a lot there. But the Silkie feathering is is recessive, not dominant. So you have two options to get the silkie feathering.

Breed a young cockerel back to a silkie hen. About half the chicks should have the silkie feathering. I have no idea what will happen to colors, but I'd expect you to get a bit of a range of colors and patterns in the offspring.

Breed brothers to sisters. About 1/4 should have the silkie feathering and you will get an even wider range of possible colors and patterns. I get lost in the math since you are talking about pairs of genes instead of individual genes, but someone I trust on this forum once said you get the same genetic diversity or loss of genetic diversity by breeding brothers to sisters as you get by breeding a parent back to an offspring. The difference is that if you breed back to a parent instead of a sibling, you can reinforce certain traits that you want to reinforce. In this case, breeding back to the Silkie hen reinforces the chance for Silkie feathering better.

Do not breed back to a SF. You will lose the Silkie feathering or at least not know which chicks have it.

I'm sorry I didn't mention the silkie that were in with the SF roo were, White, Blue, Black. Thanks so much for your help! Oh and beardless, but all the chicks have the fluffy faces I would guess from the Roo ?

Last edited:
Brody's Broodello :

Is this what your trying to make,a Salmon colored silkie?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20866_dscn1773.jpg

If so, they already exist.
big_smile.png

They are purebred silkies, no outcrossing to Faverolle.

big_smile.png
I have seen a picture here on BYC before of these guys, and though I think that is a AWESOME looking bird, I'm not really a silkie type person, I like some of the parts of silkies, I don't like Bantams myself, But Broodiness I like, I like the personality of the silkies and the faverolles, But I would love to have a LF bird that has all of the qualities of these too breeds, Mostly I'm just Playin', I'm semi retired, kinda and I just want a project to work on. My Original plan was to cross MY LB Roo with the Silkies, tat never came to pass, so I started letting the SF Roo Run with the silkie girls and they hatched out these Awesome chicks! The best part is that it is so easy to tell the sex on them,
at least so far, All the males look like miniture versions of there Father, and the girls color looks just like a S.F. hens. If it weren't for the comb type (they all have more of the silkie comb, but slimmer, and the Top Knots I would think that they were salmon favs, right down to the full black beards, LOL. But I would love them to get up to the LF size and be super broody like my silkie girls. The silkie feathering is cool and I would really like to see more of it in my chicks but they look great with the type of feathering they have.

So I want a LF Salmon Fav that is Super Broody and good layers too, ( larger egg) I always heard that silkies were poor layers but most of my girls lay everyday. ???? When there not being broody of course .
Any way it is so fun just seeing what you get.
big_smile.png

Quote:
big_smile.png
I have seen a picture here on BYC before of these guys, and though I think that is a AWESOME looking bird, I'm not really a silkie type person, I like some of the parts of silkies, I don't like Bantams myself, But Broodiness I like, I like the personality of the silkies and the faverolles, But I would love to have a LF bird that has all of the qualities of these too breeds, Mostly I'm just Playin', I'm semi retired, kinda and I just want a project to work on. My Original plan was to cross MY LB Roo with the Silkies, tat never came to pass, so I started letting the SF Roo Run with the silkie girls and they hatched out these Awesome chicks! The best part is that it is so easy to tell the sex on them,
at least so far, All the males look like miniture versions of there Father, and the girls color looks just like a S.F. hens. If it weren't for the comb type (they all have more of the silkie comb, but slimmer, and the Top Knots I would think that they were salmon favs, right down to the full black beards, LOL. But I would love them to get up to the LF size and be super broody like my silkie girls. The silkie feathering is cool and I would really like to see more of it in my chicks but they look great with the type of feathering they have.

So I want a LF Salmon Fav that is Super Broody and good layers too, ( larger egg) I always heard that silkies were poor layers but most of my girls lay everyday. ???? When there not being broody of course .
Any way it is so fun just seeing what you get.
big_smile.png

If you search past posts, there is someone here who has VERY largefowl silkies (she was asking about interest in purchasing eggs). I do not recall colour, but that might be more in the line of what you are looking for for breeding purposes.

edited because I forgot to add that in my experience, silkie crosses are much better broodies than silkies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom