Salmon Faverolle Sex Question

seanengler

Songster
13 Years
May 23, 2010
Central Coast, CA
Hey everybody, thanks in advance for your answers. I bought four salmon faverolles, one didn't make it, I have three left. Out of the three, they all look a little different so it's hard for me to say with certainty who I heard roosting this morning. Two have beards, one does not. One with a beard and the one without a beard have neck feathers that look different than the other one with a beard. Take a look:

Bearded:
IMG_2455.jpg

Bearded, but similar looking neck feathers to non bearded:
IMG_2453.jpg

Non Bearded:
IMG_2450.jpg

What do you think? Who was trying out their crow this morning?

Hey everybody, thanks in advance for your answers. I bought four salmon faverolles, one didn't make it, I have three left. Out of the three, they all look a little different so it's hard for me to say with certainty who I heard roosting this morning. Two have beards, one does not. One with a beard and the one without a beard have neck feathers that look different than the other one with a beard. Take a look:

Bearded:
View attachment 1811668

Bearded, but similar looking neck feathers to non bearded:
View attachment 1811670

Non Bearded:
View attachment 1811669

What do you think? Who was trying out their crow this morning?
I have a Salmon Faverolles hen who crowed. She did it for about 5 minutes one time and one time only so far. I hope you're as lucky.:D Mine is two years old though, yours look pretty small to be doing that but who knows? Chickens be chickens! They do what they want! :jumpy

Ta
#2 if I had to venture a guess.

They should all be bearded. Are they just missing from mini molts or the other grooming them? What is their age? Salmon Faverolles have major difference in feather color between cocks and hens. They look like pullets really... male should have a black chest by now...
View attachment 1811678

This is what has me so confused, the roosters are SO different than the hens I figured it would be so easy to tell by now. They were hatched April 22, almost 8 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom