Salmon Silkie Offspring (cockerel)

I almost bid on him this morning. I have retained a few relatives to MC Silkies mother. If I didnt just go through reducing my aovs because of my pinched nerves. I'd be at your door for him. He's a nice bird.

Wow he's beautiful! I would buy him if I could have a rooster in my backyard
tongue.png

Ok I have been asked what was the recipe, how did I make the Salmon, and how does someone make their own. Here's the answer!
The "trick" secret ingrediant of the Salmon silkie is/was the father!
20866_dscn1093.jpg

He was a true Mahagony Red bird who had the Lighter hackle feathers. I then bred him to a Silverpenciled hen that had a brownist cast and lighter hackles to her.
20866_dscn1101.jpg

The results were McSilkie and siblings. The hens are a wheaten color. I took a pic of McSilkie & one of the hens last night. The lighting causes the color to not photograph well. In person you can really see the true wheaten color in these. But you'll get the gist of her coloring, since McSilkie is standing next to her. The hens are f1 like McSilkie. Though he is Silver wheaten (Salmon) the hens are more wheaten based
20866_dscn3123.jpg

Here is a pic of McSilkie as a baby.
20866_dscn1117.jpg

As far as what to breed to if you don't have a Wheaten silkie, I would recommend Black. Since I have bred McSilkie to other colors for experiment. I have found that the color does reproduce, when not bred to just wheaten hens. So you could, and might , get this color in the F2 gen when crossed with black, or another color. The bird for sale "McFlurrie" is an example of what you can get from the Salmon to another color, in this case Splash. Hope this answers some of the questions everyone has. Since this is on the ground floor of breeding only time will tell. It sure is getting exciting!
The Salmon is in the pens with full sisters for mating this winter & the results will be posted on the Silkies Of A Different Color Thread as they happen!

Last edited:
For reference, here is a wheaten hen that came from April.
smile.png
This boy sure is pretty. I have Darthmaul that I got from April, otherwise I'd be bidding!

50420_salmonhen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom