Sand-like bumps on my eggs

hisdaughter

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Lakeland
Recently my Copper Maran hen has been laying eggs with sandy, grit-like bumps on the outside. They are the same color as the shell, a beautiful copper brown just lumpy. She's not done this before so I am wondering if its ok or a sign that there is something wrong. All of my hens are free range but I also feed them Manapro layer formula. Please advise

Would it be possible to post a picture?

Shells that feel gritty (like sandpaper, almost) can be caused by a number of things that I'm aware of. Disturbance during laying, inheritance, really old or young hens, drastic change in environment or daylight hours, disease - such as Infectious Bronchitis etc.

It sounds like extra calcium deposits, to be honest. Nothing to worry about, usually the result of the egg hanging out in the shell gland too long (this would be caused by disturbance during laying) and extra calcium attaching itself to the egg. They're also called "Pimple Eggs". It seems that young hens just beginning to lay are more susceptible to these. It's also seemingly more common in the winter, when egg production begins to reduce.

Be sure that you're providing adequate nutrition and unlimited clean water.

Last edited:
Recently my Copper Maran hen has been laying eggs with sandy, grit-like bumps on the outside. They are the same color as the shell, a beautiful copper brown just lumpy. She's not done this before so I am wondering if its ok or a sign that there is something wrong. All of my hens are free range but I also feed them Manapro layer formula. Please advise
There is nothing you should worry less about. My chickens have probably laid 100 eggs if not 200 like that and I didnt give it a second thought. Its nothing. I have eaten the eggs and Im still alive. If you need something to worry about its feet check. When I feed my girls and guys I always say foot check....to make sure nothing is wrapped around their tows like string from the feed bag. Yesterday one of my roosters who roams the property and sneaks in the house through the window 50 times a day was hopping around. His feet were tangled up together. Feet check is so important. I see videos with chickens who have binds on their feet and the stupid youtuber off the griders dont have a clue. More likely someone who loves their chickens like children would notice...not someone who culls and aims for them to end up in a pot...just typing that hurts. I love my babies.

Back
Top Bottom