Sand or pine shavings for bedding?

BigHead

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 27, 2015
I got a 10x10 indoor building for my chickens. I put a tarp down to keep down moisture and mold so I was debating on play sand or pine shavings or both. Which one do you recommend?

You may want to update your profile with your location, helps us with knowing the time zone you're in, weather/climate & possible predator issues.

I got a 10x10 indoor building for my chickens. I put a tarp down to keep down moisture and mold so I was debating on play sand or pine shavings or both. Which one do you recommend?

Could we get a picture of your set up? Are you meaning you're putting tarp down to cover the ground/dirt? Or is it a wood flooring?
I would think the tarp would cause condensation under it, causing moisture & mold. Either sand or shaving would work ... I prefer shavings (modified DLM) & keep adding was needed. About 1 - 2x year I remove the dirt the girls scratch up & whatever shavings, using it as mulch around my yard. I thought of sand until a member having lived here reminded me sand get hard/heavy when wet, washing/rinsing is not feasible for me & replacing is not practical. Glad I went with shavings, don't regret it.

x2 on using pine shavings over dirt.

I agree that the tarp will probably cause condensation and will not allow easy deep litter method.

Sand can be problematic in moist climates, especially on clay soil, which creates cement with sand and wet.

Pine shavings amends the soil, adds carbon to break down smell, and then the whole thing makes great compost.

LofMc

You may want to update your profile with your location, helps us with knowing the time zone you're in, weather/climate & possible predator issues.

Could we get a picture of your set up? Are you meaning you're putting tarp down to cover the ground/dirt? Or is it a wood flooring?
I would think the tarp would cause condensation under it, causing moisture & mold. Either sand or shaving would work ... I prefer shavings (modified DLM) & keep adding was needed. About 1 - 2x year I remove the dirt the girls scratch up & whatever shavings, using it as mulch around my yard. I thought of sand until a member having lived here reminded me sand get hard/heavy when wet, washing/rinsing is not feasible for me & replacing is not practical. Glad I went with shavings, don't regret it.
No pictures right now. It's a enclosed building and I'm in Kentucky I just wanted to keep them out of the weather and get a early start on some chicks. I'll just be using it till April when the weather gets a little better.

x2 on using pine shavings over dirt.

I agree that the tarp will probably cause condensation and will not allow easy deep litter method.

Sand can be problematic in moist climates, especially on clay soil, which creates cement with sand and wet.

Pine shavings amends the soil, adds carbon to break down smell, and then the whole thing makes great compost.

LofMc
I put a tarp over my dirt floor, would pine shavings on the tarp be fine till April? I just need it to keep them out of the weather.

I don't see the need for a tarp but without seeing pics there could be. I have had chickens for 3 years and decided before I got them I decided deep litter was for me as I knew I would not want to be cleaning the coop as often as sand would require. Some people say its not deep litter inside of a coop with a wood floor. All I can tell you is that i start with a layer of pine shavings in the spring. Then every few weeks I add a thin layer of grass clippings, or leaves, or other material from my yard. When the new material is added the chickens love to scratch and peck through it and they keep everything churned up. I do this until the fall when I shovel it out and spread it on my garden. Then I start the process over for the winter.
I only have to clean it out twice a year, the manure/litter breaks down and there is no odor issues etc. It is cheap and effective. Even if I had a dirt floor coop I would do it the same way and not mess with a tarp underneath.

We seem to agree the tarp on the ground will cause condensation which will then mold under it, you decision. Shavings I feel better as sand would probably radiate the ground temp (cold) while shavings will insulates. IF you do go put the tarp down, at least check under it every couple weeks.

Not sure what the tarp is for but if you are going to use it keep an eye on it to make sure the chickens don't start tearing it up (and eating it) and as others mentioned, that it's not molding underneath. I know if I put a tarp down like that in my area it'd be like making a mold factory.

i used a tarp once, until it started disintegrating, big mess....I did use sand, but agree with the deep litter, i used to scoop it daily (being in Florida sand is cheap if not free!) but have grown to love deep litter, pine shavings, grass clippings, leaves etc.

Not a fan of sand, the poops get breaded and they end up eating crap.
It will also freeze hard as concrete if it gets damp and cold, in hot weather it grows nastiness.
With little chicks you'd think it would act like grit but it dosent, it clumps up and enough can impact them and kill them.

Back
Top Bottom