Sano Goat and Sheep Auction Columbia/Russell Springs KY

I was telling my dad about the free range rabbits, and he said his brother had a pen with rabbits in it. The mamas would dig holes in the ground for their young, and lay in front of the holes to keep the bucks away. I told him that is not free range, if they are in a cage, so I was wondering how you did that! I hate to keep animals in a cage, but if I let my bunnies (now have 3...need to UPDATE!!) out, dad's dogs would have a field day!! All his are beagles, except for 1 pit bull, and they are used for rabbit hunting! I have a beagle pup, too, that is being trained (unofficially) by one of dad's dogs. The bunnies wouldn't stand a chance! And I would probably have a lot of broken chains to replace
lol.png

Shelley,

You are right about the dogs and bunnies. The dogs would for sure give chase. I don't have an outside dog right now, so my bunnies are safe, except for the Coyote that roams about from time to time.

I hope to maybe see you chicken ladies at Sano friday night, but may have a party to attend. I'll look for you if I'm there.

I have baby chicks coming Friday or Saturday, yeah.

Tammy

I just heard about the Sano auction. Is it still on fridays. What time does it start? I have sheep, chickens, geese and ducks to sell. Thanks, Carolyn in Center,KY.

Quote:
Yep, still on Fridays. The auction starts about 5:30 but there are people lined up in the parking lot from at least 2 pm on. They are on central time. Birds can be sold outside for free or inside (auction) for either 10% or 15% of the sale, can't remember for sure.
Goats, sheep, horses, etc. can be sold outside or inside, but either way you'll pay 10% (I think) of the sale.

One thing that's changed recently that not everyone knows about is that all small animals (birds, etc.) have to be in 'cages' that they can stay in. This is for the auction only, outside it's still byoc
big_smile.png

the auction is a great place for anyone who has chickens. they haven`t had as many chickens lately because of the cold but during the summer its a hot spot to get good deals.I go every now and then and have bought a few things and every thing I`ve bought has worked fairly well. Ill give you a list of things I`ve bought:a 2 1\\2 foot X 3 foot cage,4 chicken crates,and a few other things.They always have lots of chickens reasonably priced.Plus a great snack bar.

Every Friday, though I don't know if they will the next 2 weeks due to the holidays. They haven't had them the past 2 years but Friday fell on either the holiday or the holiday eve. You can always call them and find out.

ETA: Here's the contact info:
SANO GOAT & SHEEP AUCTION
331 W SULPHUR CREEK RD
COLUMBIA, KY 42728
STEPHEN BURTON
270-385-9097

Last edited:
I actually live 5 mins from this place, in Russell Co. about 3 mins from the Adair/Russell line on 76. My grandfather and uncle go there alot when its warmer out, and I have been several times myself. Thats actually where I take culls or birds that arent worth alot of money. Just cause I know they arent SQ alot of people around here dont care as long as they are pure bred or look like they are supposed to. Its not worth the hassle to send a bird worth $10 halfway across the country and have to deal with the hassle of shipping.

~Casey

Back
Top Bottom