Sapphire gem and barred Plymouth rock rooster

alexanye

Chirping
Oct 20, 2021
I have sapphire gem hens in with a barred Plymouth rock rooster, would the chicks from this pairing be sex-linked? If so how would they present? Would the hens be the blue/purple/Grey color and the rooster be barred? I have some black chicks from the pairing as well.

Last edited:
No, they would not be sexlinked. You need barred hens and a non-barred rooster to make this type of sexlink.

A barred rooster who is pure for the gene will pass barring to all of his offspring. His sons will have darker barring than him because they only got the barring gene from him and not from their mothers.

Sapphire Blues will pass blue on to roughly half of their offspring, and the other half will not inherit blue. This is not split by sex; equal males and females should inherit blue.

So, from a Barred Plymouth Rock rooster crossed to Sapphire Gem hens, you would get roughly 1/4 dark barred males, 1/4 blue dark barred males, 1/4 barred females, and 1/4 blue barred females.

All the black sex links need a barred/cuckoo hen and a black rooster. The male carries two color genes, and the male chicks end up with the color gene from their mother, so you can't swap a rooster for a hen and have it work. There's more to it than that though.

No, they would not be sexlinked. You need barred hens and a non-barred rooster to make this type of sexlink.

A barred rooster who is pure for the gene will pass barring to all of his offspring. His sons will have darker barring than him because they only got the barring gene from him and not from their mothers.

Sapphire Blues will pass blue on to roughly half of their offspring, and the other half will not inherit blue. This is not split by sex; equal males and females should inherit blue.

So, from a Barred Plymouth Rock rooster crossed to Sapphire Gem hens, you would get roughly 1/4 dark barred males, 1/4 blue dark barred males, 1/4 barred females, and 1/4 blue barred females.
Thank you very much! This was really helpful! I have some beautiful chicks either way. I was just hoping I got lucky with a cross that sex links 😂

The next question I have about this cross, I was reading about Plymouth rooster chicks having a white spot on their head, would that be true for this cross? Some of the chicks do have a very prominent white spot on their head.

The next question I have about this cross, I was reading about Plymouth rooster chicks having a white spot on their head, would that be true for this cross? Some of the chicks do have a very prominent white spot on their head.
The spot on the head corresponds to the barring. Since as @pipdzipdnreadytogo says, you get all barred chicks from your crossing, all the chicks should have the spot on the head.

Yes, the white spot on the top of the head indicates that the chick's feathering will be barred. Are you saying some do not have a spot on top of their heads?
Correct, some do have spots on their heads. Others do not.

I'm going to see if I can get any good pictures. They are a feisty bunch so it's hard to get clear pictures.

Back
Top Bottom