sauerkrauting compost for chickens?

amiachicknorwat

Songster
7 Years
Aug 3, 2015
...which requires -- in this case -- sea salt, is what we got. Maybe (I dunno at all) you've been told high sodium diet is bad for chickens. Well, in the balance, which sea salt is in, replete with many other trace minerals -- it may be just what the doctor ordered.

For instance, i know that other farm animals need more salt than they tend to get, so salt licks are put out for them. But here i'm just asking for informed opinions on sauerkraut for chickens. I can make it low salt. It's just we had a guest here from Japan who had studied chickens and suggested this, but the language barrier was too great to get the details straight. Much Thanks, Nick

First I'll probably get you mad. How is sea salt made? You evaporate sea water. How is the other salt made? Sea water evaporated a long time ago but the deposits are thick enough that they can mine it. It's basically the same stuff. It is still very salty and has trace minerals though they may add iodine to regular salt for certain health benefits.

Cattle, horses, and many other farm animals sweat and excess salt comes out with sweat. Chickens do not sweat. Some birds like sea gulls have special ways to filter the salt out but chickens do not. Excess salt is dangerous for them. They can't get rid of it and it can upset body chemistry.

Salt is used to make sauerkraut because it pulls moisture out of the cabbage and the brine creates an environment that inhibits the bad bacteria. I've fed sauerkraut to chickens before, I rinse the salt out before they get it.

Back
Top Bottom