HoelFamily

Hatching
Aug 28, 2017
This spring, we decided to try our hand at backyard ducks. We don't have a HUGE yard, but we built a house and a run for our two fawn and white indian runners. They are a bit nervous, but can be handled and eat out of our hands. As the weeks went on, it became apparent that we have two males :( We were hoping for at least one females, so we could have fresh eggs. That brings us to today....

We responded to a classified ad, for an older couple selling all of their farm birds. They had some adult female runners that were already laying, so we were very excited. We went to get them today, and the state of the farm was AWFUL. There was over 100+ chickens just running loose, or roosting in a garage full of junk, and at least 30 ducks some in 3X5 pens with up to 6-7 ducks each. There wasn't fresh water to be seen, and certainly not enough water for them to swim or bath. The pens were just on dirt, we cracked corn for food. They were all dirty and had patchy feathers.

At this point, I was ready to take them all, but we can only have 4 on our property according to the city I live in. On the way home I couldn't help but think that we were rescuing these ducks. I knew we could give them a better life. I wasn't too stressed about getting them cleaned and fattened up. We got them home and in the run with our two males who are much larger even though they are about 6 months younger. I noticed one of the new females was doing this weird shifting thing with her wings. I was able to grab her and spread her wings.... and there is a huge bald patch that is a crusty/scabbish. I checked the other female, and she also had this same patch, but it was smaller, and not too crusty.

I didn't see any bugs, but then again, I am not really sure I know what to look for. They also have balding patches on their necks, and there bills are very discolored. Please tell me we aren't doomed, and that theses girls can still be brought back into excellent health.

What can I do?

Attachments

• IMG_20170828_180154781.jpg
    IMG_20170828_180154781.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20170828_180145181.jpg
    IMG_20170828_180145181.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20170828_180129132.jpg
    IMG_20170828_180129132.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20170828_180243940.jpg
    IMG_20170828_180243940.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20170828_180257487.jpg
    IMG_20170828_180257487.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20170828_180251912_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20170828_180251912_TOP.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 17
Those bald patches on the backs and necks are most likely from being overbred by drakes.

A good molt and some time alone from any randy males and they should feather out just fine. It is still molting season, so I would house them separately from your males for at least a few weeks to a month to left the feathers regrow.

This spring, we decided to try our hand at backyard ducks. We don't have a HUGE yard, but we built a house and a run for our two fawn and white indian runners. They are a bit nervous, but can be handled and eat out of our hands. As the weeks went on, it became apparent that we have two males :( We were hoping for at least one females, so we could have fresh eggs. That brings us to today....

We responded to a classified ad, for an older couple selling all of their farm birds. They had some adult female runners that were already laying, so we were very excited. We went to get them today, and the state of the farm was AWFUL. There was over 100+ chickens just running loose, or roosting in a garage full of junk, and at least 30 ducks some in 3X5 pens with up to 6-7 ducks each. There wasn't fresh water to be seen, and certainly not enough water for them to swim or bath. The pens were just on dirt, we cracked corn for food. They were all dirty and had patchy feathers.

At this point, I was ready to take them all, but we can only have 4 on our property according to the city I live in. On the way home I couldn't help but think that we were rescuing these ducks. I knew we could give them a better life. I wasn't too stressed about getting them cleaned and fattened up. We got them home and in the run with our two males who are much larger even though they are about 6 months younger. I noticed one of the new females was doing this weird shifting thing with her wings. I was able to grab her and spread her wings.... and there is a huge bald patch that is a crusty/scabbish. I checked the other female, and she also had this same patch, but it was smaller, and not too crusty.

I didn't see any bugs, but then again, I am not really sure I know what to look for. They also have balding patches on their necks, and there bills are very discolored. Please tell me we aren't doomed, and that theses girls can still be brought back into excellent health.

What can I do?

Bless your heart for taking them home.

Wish I could help the others. Where was their farm located?

Back
Top Bottom