Scaly Leg Mites - Need Best / Easiest / Quickest Solution - Scaley

Pics
I hope I never have to deal with scaly leg mites, but if I do, I will follow this advise:
Quote:
Here is another good thread, and an exerpt from it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2713525

I have never done any worming is this somthing i need to do regulary ?
and as far as the dusting Is it Just powder you put on the bird?
Thank you all for everyones help with my questions. I also have seen a little bit of that legg stuff on another bird in that flock. ...........

On the worming, yes - it is good to do. They can technically live with some worms, but it causes a constant state of slight inflammation where the worms are, they make scars in the digestive tract if they burrow, and they steal their food - so they lower their immunity. I just worm twice a year with something broad-spectrum. For an unwormed flock, just worm with Wazine 17 (piperazine 17) first. Then go back and worm with something like fenbendazole (safeGuard for horses or goats), pour-on cattle ivermectin, albendazole (Valbazen), levamisole, etc. One of those will do the trick as the second worming.

How many do you have with this bird? Soak the legs of at least the two effected birds in warm water with some very gentle soap VERY dilute in it (ivory, or better yet - something like Nolvasan antiseptic diluted to a capful per a quarter of water. Scrub the legs with a toothbrush to get rid of the excess scaliness. The scaliness is made both by the gunk coming from mites that are burrowing under the skin (quite like mange mites do) as well as the products of irritation of the skin itself. Pat dry. Then you can use the 1% ivermectin on the legs. Dilute with a little water to get it to soak in. Or you can worm with ivermectin 5% cattle pour-on (PM me for the dosages) and you'll get the second worming done and be able to do it usually twice annually with ivermectin thereafter. ONLY use the 'broad spectrum' type wormers on birds over four months who have been wormed with wazine first.

I suspect the marks on the comb are also scaley mites which can and do migrate to combs as well, though they are more commonly found under the scales of the legs.

Still continue to give the vitamins, etc, as this will be good for their immunity.

Summary:

Worm with Wazine.
Get started on working on the legs by soaking and scrubbing. (You can put olive oil on them after the cleansing). repeat the oil part daily until 2 weeks later.

Two weeks later:
Worm with ivermectin pour-on (birds over four months) which will kill the mites and the rest of the worms. (Reworm birds under four months with wazine two weeks from this date).

Continue oil for another week.

Note: Sometimes the scales will bleed after you kill the mites as they dislodge from the skin. Be forewarned. It is normal. That's just an indication of exactly how much damage they do under those scales where we can't see.

The scales might not return to normal, but at least the issue won't be there anymore.

On dusting, permethrin (the chemical you want - check the active ingredient on the label) usually comes in a handy shaker can. I find it handy but a little annoying. So I wear gloves, shake some into my hand, and then use my hand to put the powder on the birds - under their wings, under and around their vent, under their bellies, back of neck - use your gloved hand to ruffle the stuff in at each place as you apply it. Try to keep it out of their mouths and eyes. You'll get the feel of it. Repeat in 7 days.

a few of our polish bantams came a cropper to mite my oh and father in law painted their legs in linseed and paraffin so far so good

The BEST BEST BEST BEST thing for Scaley Leg Mites is
Campho-Phenique.
You can buy Campho-Phenique at any drugstore.
Just put some drops on your chicken's feet every couple of days and those mites will disapear!!!!

Here is a dollar off coupon:
http://campho.com/

Hey nifty I know this thread is old but I thought I would offer my 2 cents worth...

when we had to battle SLM I used the NIX scabies treatment for people... the cream NOT the lotion... It was a 1X application and a 30gr tube treated 17 chickens and the roosts for $25 CDN

I'm pretty sure after completely reading through this thread, that this is what our 4 new Buff Orpingtons have. How could their former owner NOT know about this?!?! Makes me so angry! We just changed the bedding and everything inside of the coop on Tuesday, after getting them. I'm exhausted just thinking about all of the work ahead of me. My 5 Black Sexlinks need to be protected from getting this now too.

Should I just go ahead and see if I can find the Ivomec? And then how many days will we have to throw their eggs out for? Their legs are really bad with this. Grrr.

R&A-Goros Harem :

Well this is a heck of a thread, and answered many questions I have. I got a couple chickens with the leg mites, and will be using the tea tree oil and mineral oil to fight it. I will post in a week with the results!

Not to combat any opinions here about WD-40 - it is the best and cheepest wasp and hornet killer on the market!!

Thanks all for the info!

Seems like the mites are gone, Tea tree and mineral oil seems to have worked and their legs seem to be getting better, but, the large scales at the bottom of their legs, where the feet actually begin are lifted. Will they shed them and then regrow them?? Anyone know that answer?

Also Lolas eggs are still coming out extremely bumpy, hard crusted shells, with an occasional soft shell found in the coop, will that stop as her legs get better?, anyone?​

This is great!!! We have mites
barnie.gif
But they are mostly on the broody & they are bad!!! So Thanks for all the info!!!

We have quite a few of our girls who have scaly leg mites. I soaked one girl in the sink for a while. First, warm water and Dawn. No idea if that will do anything, but it was right there. Then I drained the sink and refilled a few times with just warm water. Tonight, I went out to the coop to coat everybody's legs with Vaseline. They totally hate me now. I can't do that for several weeks. I am doing it by myself too. We have the Ivomectin from worming last year. We put it on them topically on their backs. It never really helped their legs. Do you have to give it orally? How much for standards and bantams? I don't know which trick to try.

d.k :

* Might be an old wives tale, but think I'd start by dunking their legs some strong vinegar solution with some MUrphy's oil soap added, and let it set a bit before rinsing.

Vinegar works great
smile.png
I got rid of my chicken mites soaking her in vinegar for 5-20mins every other day and then after that Vaseline on her feet... also face acne peroxide cream works wonders too
smile.png
once a day​

Back
Top Bottom