Scaly Leg Mites

KCD

Songster
Aug 17, 2018
I have a question about SLM. I’ve read through lots of posts about it but can’t seem to find the answer I’m looking for, but there are so many posts that I’m probably just missing it!
Anyway there is a bit of a back-story with this whole situation. A friend of mine knew someone who was getting rid of her hens and she asked if I would take them. I was told that something got the rest of her flock and only 2 were remaining, and she wanted to be done. When I showed up, only 1 hen was there. The lady didn’t seem to notice another one was missing so I thought maybe I misunderstood and only 1 had survived. I asked if there were 2 and she said, “Yeah there were 2 the other day” but didn’t seem concerned that there was now only 1. I asked if maybe whatever got the rest of the flock might have taken this one too and she said it wasn’t a predator. She came out and found them dead. There wasn’t any food or water available that I could see (both feeder and waterer were empty and knocked over) so I can’t say if that had been happening before, but maybe that would explain the other deaths. I do feel like that was the case though because she asked if I’d take the feed with me and when she opened the tub, it was empty and, again, she didn’t seem to already know. Anyway, I decided I was taking this hen regardless of her condition. When I got her home, I looked her over. She clearly had SLM but I didn’t see any other mites on her. She was terrible to handle so I can’t say for sure, but I did get a good look at her vent and under her wings and didn’t see anything. Her legs were REALLY bad though. I soaked them for about 20 min in warm soapy water and applied some Vaseline. She was less than an ideal patient, unsurprisingly. I have a second coop that’s not being used and put her in there. The next day I tried to soak her legs again and she completely freaked out. Given everything else that may be going on with her, I decided to just pull out the big guns and use ivomectin (pour on). I also dusted her and the coop to be safe. I waited 10 days and treated her and the coop again. She’s definitely calming down but it’s a battle to handle her, even in the evening.
It’s been about a month now and her legs look SO much better. Still some lifted scales though. Is that normal? They were pretty bad at the beginning. Also, she’s staring to get a slight dirty butt. If I treated with ivermectin that should have taken care of any mites, right? She wasn’t laying when I first got her, but now she is and her eggs are normal (I waited 2 weeks after treatment to keep the eggs). I’ve never dealt with mites before so I just want to make sure she’s okay. Also, the coop she’s in is the coop I use to integrate chicks and I have some inside I’m wanting to move outside...soon! Haha! I wasn’t expecting to have to keep this hen separated for so long. (She has been confined to the coop because both coops share a wall in the run and I don’t want any co-mingling just yet and don’t want them free-ranging together yet. She has a dust bath inside the coop since she’s not coming out yet.
So, my question is, how long does SLM take to clear up? Any thoughts on the dirty butt if I’m not seeing mites and she’s been treated? When is it safe to minimally introduce her through the runs with the rest of my flock?

Check her at night after she roosts and see if there is anything on her. I use a headlamp so I have both hands free to inspect a bird. Permethrin works well. You can get the concentrate or the premixed spray. If you find anything on her, treat her and inside of her coop thoroughly. Weekly treatments are necessary if she has any pests. The permethrin does not kill the pests eggs so retreating is necessary for 3 or 4 weeks. There is no egg withdrawal period. I also put poultry dust with permethrin in my nest boxes. Good luck...

Attachments

• Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 17
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 14
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 9
  • PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 10
  • permethrin spray.jpg
    permethrin spray.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 31
Check her at night after she roosts and see if there is anything on her. I use a headlamp so I have both hands free to inspect a bird. Permethrin works well. You can get the concentrate or the premixed spray. If you find anything on her, treat her and inside of her coop thoroughly. Weekly treatments are necessary if she has any pests. The permethrin does not kill the pests eggs so retreating is necessary for 3 or 4 weeks. There is no egg withdrawal period. I also put poultry dust with permethrin in my nest boxes. Good luck...
I’ve already dusted the coop she’s in twice (the coop did not have any pests and I only treated it to be safe since I wasn’t sure what was going on with her). I have checked her in the evening (I also use a headlamp...so much easier!) and have not seen anything but she is really terrible to handle, even in the dark. I also treated her with pour on ivomec a month ago.
What I’m trying to find out is how long does it take for SLM to clear up (after treatment), any possible causes for a very slight dirty butt (again NOT seeing mites) and when would she be safe to introduce her to my flock?

I had a potential case of SLM in one bird, so treated the coop with the permethrin. I read an article in mother earth news about someone who got some headlice treatment (dimethicone) and decided to try that. It was an alternative to the bathing & soaking & vaseline--just spray this stuff on the legs. I got some stuff at the dollar store but it turned out to be Licefreee spray--Natrum muriaticum HPUS 2X. It did seem to work! Because they were so hard to catch and I was afraid of rattlesnakes to go out at night, I had a friend help me. The scales now look totally flat. I guess it killed the mites just like the chemical spray did for the author of the mother earth news article, and it must be in some oil base that moisturizes the scales. It does smell nice. Maybe that is an option for you, or maybe you'd just need some other moisturizing oil since you've killed the mites? Sorry, no comment on the poop, other than possibly treat with corrid in the drinking water if coccidiosis is high on your list of possibilities.

For introducing a single hen to the flock, there is an article here that describes that. Basically look/no touch, followed by putting the mildest hen into the newby's quarters, then either introducing two more birds in with those two, followed by full introduction. (basically a reverse integration)...

I couldn't find that article anywhere, but here's one article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/

I had a potential case of SLM in one bird, so treated the coop with the permethrin. I read an article in mother earth news about someone who got some headlice treatment (dimethicone) and decided to try that. It was an alternative to the bathing & soaking & vaseline--just spray this stuff on the legs. I got some stuff at the dollar store but it turned out to be Licefreee spray--Natrum muriaticum HPUS 2X. It did seem to work! Because they were so hard to catch and I was afraid of rattlesnakes to go out at night, I had a friend help me. The scales now look totally flat. I guess it killed the mites just like the chemical spray did for the author of the mother earth news article, and it must be in some oil base that moisturizes the scales. It does smell nice. Maybe that is an option for you, or maybe you'd just need some other moisturizing oil since you've killed the mites? Sorry, no comment on the poop, other than possibly treat with corrid in the drinking water if coccidiosis is high on your list of possibilities.

For introducing a single hen to the flock, there is an article here that describes that. Basically look/no touch, followed by putting the mildest hen into the newby's quarters, then either introducing two more birds in with those two, followed by full introduction. (basically a reverse integration)...

I couldn't find that article anywhere, but here's one article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/
Her legs look much, much better than they did. They were all white and crusty looking. Really yucky. Now they’re yellow but I can still see some lifted scales and there are pink spots (I think where the old scales fell off??) I’m pretty confident the SLM have been treated, just wondered how long it takes, when the case is pretty severe, for the scales to smooth out again. Again, I got this hen from bad conditions. When the SLM are really bad, does it require multiple treatments with ivomec? That is what I used to treat for all possible mites. And I did actually treat her twice with the ivomec because I wasn’t convinced the first dose went all on her skin (she’s not cooperative at all) so treated her again the following day to be safe. I also dusted her and the coop twice (10 days apart). The coop was clean but I decided to dust both incase she brought anything with her.
Thank you for the integration information. I’m all set with that. I have 2 coops that have a shared run wall. I use that coop and run (the same one this hen is in) to introduce newbies, chicks and to keep anyone whose been injured. I asked about when I could start to introduce her (through the runs) with the rest of my flock...can I assume the SLM is gone even with lifted scales? Can I infect my other hens? That’s really what I’m trying to find out. I definitely appreciate all of the other suggestions, but those are my actual questions. 😊

I was going to start a thread to ask if these were SLM but from reading existing threads I think I have my answer. Here are the photos I took this morning

Attachments

• 82DFFD5F-1502-4400-BCD1-573DF2340BD5.jpeg
    82DFFD5F-1502-4400-BCD1-573DF2340BD5.jpeg
    502.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 5F7A3389-746A-4272-BBA6-9AFE9F18B863.jpeg
    5F7A3389-746A-4272-BBA6-9AFE9F18B863.jpeg
    502.1 KB · Views: 29
20210608_194147.jpg

I think we have it, too. 🙁 Somebody in another thread mentioned washing their chickens' legs with gasoline; that's not right, is it??? I had heard from a more reliable source to coat the legs with Vaseline, or petroleum jelly. THAT makes sense to me, as it should smother the mites. Can anyone clarify?

I've seen numerous articles endorsing gasoline and other, credible, articles commenting on the idea. You'd think that would hurt quite a bit given that the bird has sizable mites tunneling under their skin. I've had other people who I trust directly tell me of the vaseline method.

I saw one article on mother earth news who used the head lice treatment for children and it worked. I tried it, but accidentally got the natural version of it, and that worked too, at least for me!

Back
Top Bottom