screaming/screeching hen !?!?

Thank goodness you said the "song" doesn't sound like a song at all because I have begun to think one of the girls is in pain. It sounds like a cat is being attacked. We even looked around the house to see if one of our cats was hurt, but no, they weren't and they don't go outside. The sound was coming from outside and we feel certain it was from the chicken tractor. I have 2 Red Sex Links, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Brahma, and 1 Pekin Bantam Rooster. The sound only lasts a very short time, but it is awful. Is "Charlie" trying to mate with the hens and they get mad?

I'm also wondering about egg production. I got the chicks on Good Friday from Tractor Supply and have been getting about 2 eggs a day (dark brown) for a month or so. Just started to get a slightly lighter color egg yesterday, but none today. Should I be getting more eggs? Do you think at 2/3 eggs a day that they are all now laying?

Thanks for any responses.

Wow! I have 2 GSL's and 2 production reds. They all bock, bock all day, but no screaming yet. No egg songs either. I almost wish I would hear it. The 2 golden sex links are 19 weeks. No eggs:(

I just got a four new hens, one is a Leghorn x Arucana, I have been watching them this morning and she is making a dreadful screeching jurassic park type noise while pacing around, hopping in and out of nest boxes and trying to get into one that is already occupied. Its an awful noise! Sounds like a dinosaur in labour! lol.. well, I have very painful ovulation too so if that is the problem I understand why it makes her scream!

Wow, I never thought of that! I guess maybe it might have been a little startling and hurt some for a hen to lay her first egg or two. I haven't heard anything like that today and I had 3 eggs when I checked the box around noon. I think they probably are all laying now. Now I need to start using an egg preservation method so I can have all the eggs I need for my Thanksgiving baking!

My hen is doing it right now... usually when another hen is in the nest she wants to use. It goes on and on ..........
bock bock bock booooooogoooooook! lol that's how it is can hear it 1/2 mile away

My hen is doing it right now... usually when another hen is in the nest she wants to use. It goes on and on ..........
bock bock bock booooooogoooooook! lol that's how it is can hear it 1/2 mile away

You actually did make me LOL!! I still hear that sound but don't go running now. Usually it is that they are getting ready to LAY an egg and do actually want in the nest box. After they lay the egg, I get to hear the song. It is much nicer to hear. Thanks for the laugh. I needed it.

lau.gif
Glad you giggled! These chickens really are so interesting to watch and experience... I love having them!

Maybe she's Warning you and the other chickens there is Predators around? because dogs will eat chickens if need be

Ugh sounds like my EE! She makes this constant screechy weird sound. Only when Im outside tho. She's the low girl in the pecking order. None of them are laying yet.

Back
Top Bottom