Sdwd

Yard full o' rocks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Cartersville, Georgia
Thought I'd start a new thread for my friends who understand this acronym.....missed you guys today!!!

Better hotter than blue blazes here, just let Pepper and the girls out and fed them some frozen watermelon....they are in heaven

Hope you all are well!!!

TTYL

Last edited:
I guess lucky for Pepper he is molting right now....has been for several weeks, so he is a bit "feather poor"....maybe that will help him to stay a tad cooler.

Calling for 95F or higher here for the next 10 days....I am soooooo ready for Fall weather.

The girls are still laying about every other day....not sure how, but it seems that they go thru nearly 5 gallons of water every day

Amy (HappyMtn) was here today getting chicks and said her house was up over 90F this weekend! UUUGGGHHH

They are not finished building and the A/C is not running in all parts of their house.....OMG, I can't even imagine.

I just don't know how the pioneers handled heat like this. I soooo enjoy my air conditioning.

My girls are still laying well. Surprises me that they haven't cut down. I really expected they would. I have noticed that some of the eggs are smaller though.

My girls are quitting but three of them gone broody! UGH!

Hotter than Hades here, already in the 107 heat index today. Hubby came from factory, just dripping with sweat.

Quote:
THey didi not have concrete and pavement everywhich where that holds in heat; they had various mechanisms for cooling off (not sure about the humid south, but in dry Az, they would hang wet sheets around the beds at night. Many, people slept on sleeping porches to take advantage of cooler breezes at night. No other option
wink.png

Terrible here too. I have an orp mix that has gone broody. I gave her a mix of eggs. My grass is even greyish looking.
Scott how early do the rocks lay? Or Crow. I think mine crowed this am, what a sound:lau I have two rocks from your group. One blue female and a very dark roo rock, ? black.
My chickens are still laying too. It amazes me.
I grew up without AC. I did fine. We left the windows open and sweated but so did everyone else. We thought nothing of it. I think we were healthier in the process. Our bodies adapted as the season progressed alot like the animals i guess.
I saw a fox this morning. I hope he can not get into the chicken house. So far, I have had hens going on three winters and nothing but a rat got in.
Have you had any more chickens die anyone. So far mine are fine. Gloria Jean

Gloria Jean

My rocks seemed to start a little later than my Dels...around 22 weeks. I'd LOVE to see pix of them if you get a chance

My Columbians are getting close to laying (I have 2 of the hatchery girls laying), but the other 3 breeder quality girls should be anytime in the next 3-4 weeks. Combs and wattles starting to get really red and they are "playing" in the nest boxes. 3 of the CR boys have started to crow.

My SQ Barreds are only about 12-13 weeks and 2 of them started crowing yesterday before church. Still have one splash rock roo though (about 6 months old) that hasn't crowed and has ZERO interest in the girls!!!!

Scott it is so hot by the time I water feed and pet each morning I am to hot for picture taking but I promise one morning soon. I am liking the roc roo. He is friendly at this point and the red of his comb against the black is sooo pretty. The girl is shy. She will eat from a cup if I have some scatch in it when I am holding it. Two of the Dells are friendly and one really standoffish. One I call Lucky, he is a roo. The other two I am not sure what they will be called. Except keepers if they stay hens. LOL. I am really ready for some cooler mornings and less humidity so I can play with my flock more. I set a chair in the coop and they will all come for handouts. I really spoil them I am afraid.
I have to combine my 18 week olds next week with the big flock and I hate that. Even though they sleep with just a wire between them on the roost, it can be easy or brutal. There will be 7 hens to add. Then later the Dellies and Rocks will find their place. Gloria Jean

Back
Top Bottom