Sdwd

Tim, is it as cold in NY as it is in California/Nevada? Very few of my birds are laying. I've discovered a lice problem and am dealing with that but it has been bitterly cold here. Several of my roosters have frostbite on their wattles, a few have it on their combs. I'm attributing the non-laying to the cold, so perhaps lights in your coop will help. I have several rooster pens and it would be very difficult for me to provide heat over each pen. Even some of our roosters that are in with the girls and therefore have extra warmth have problems!

It's 30* but my other birds are laying. One coop which you might think would be the coldest had 4 for 5. It's half hoop coop. The Dels are laying well. The orps, cr's and EE's are laying though not great. Actually I don't think the orps are laying at all, but the EE's and CR's are. I'm not sure of the RIR.

You know BYC has taught me something cuz I never knew CA got as cold as it does. Though I'm sure it's not as long as NY.

Last edited:
Tim I have noticed my roosters are most aggressive late spring-early summer, right along the same time as the hens' best laying. My snarkiest roo, Evil Edgar the Easter Egger is at his mellowest this time of year. This week dense freezing fog and a bald eagle flying up and down the creek looking for steel head has added another level of stress to egg laying. Both roosters are earning their keep watching out for the eagle. 22 hens and averaging 2 eggs a day, all from 7 Brahma pullets or two 3 year old BA's. Even at 3 years the BA's out lay the pullets.

I know we live in a different part of the country but we have our laying issues too.We do have lights in our coops. We have 7 watt light bulbs in each coop. It seems to be enough light. We leave them on 24/365. The only time we have laying issues is when it is extremely hot, cold, when they molt or when we rearrange the flocks in their coops. They eventually get with the program. Changes of any type can affect the birds.

Tim I have noticed my roosters are most aggressive late spring-early summer, right along the same time as the hens' best laying. My snarkiest roo, Evil Edgar the Easter Egger is at his mellowest this time of year. This week dense freezing fog and a bald eagle flying up and down the creek looking for steel head has added another level of stress to egg laying. Both roosters are earning their keep watching out for the eagle. 22 hens and averaging 2 eggs a day, all from 7 Brahma pullets or two 3 year old BA's. Even at 3 years the BA's out lay the pullets.

I notice the BR rooster is not the caring type anymore but pecks at the girls when I toss scratch in the morning.
I'm going to spend some time out there tomorrow and see if I can notice anything.

Last edited:
Tim, how old are the girls in question? That may have some bearing on it as well. Cold certainly affects some girls more than others. My three little EE's are doing the best job out of every one. They each lay an egg every day. They haven't missed a beat all winter and we've had some very cold days and even colder nights.

As for light, I keep a 25 watt red bulb going 24/7. It doesn't give off any heat and not all that much light. It's more for me to be able to see them to count noses by at night.

Feed wise, their standard daily fare is dry COB [rolled corn, oats & barley] with some BOSS mixed in, plain chicken scratch and layer crumble to ensure that the nutrition is as balanced and complete as I can get it in a processed formula. They also get any available left overs from the kitchen, much to the dismay of the dog!
gig.gif
I dunno....I guess I must be doing something right. Out of 14 girls of laying age in the main coop, I'm averaging about 10-12 eggs a day. Every now and then we hit a low count day, but by and large, those are the kind of numbers I see on a daily basis.

I'd say that your biggest problem was/is that squirrel. They're vermin IMHO, and should be treated about the same as you would weasel, mink or rat: With a big old steel rat trap, out of reach of the chickens, but certainly where vermin could get to it. Load it up with peanut butter. I've yet to see a rodent that could resist peanut butter!
old.gif
[yes, this is the voice of experience speaking] And always remember...where you see one, there are bound to be others.
wink.png
Hope ya get the little scoundrel.

With the meds, I am doing better for sure. Its just hard to pen down exactly what has happened to me. I don't seem to fit into any category. Not migraine, not stroke not really neuralgia as the Dr. calls it. I just wish I could pigeon hole it then I'd know what to expect next. I like knowing how to prepare when I can. Thanks so much for caring Gloria Jean

Tim, how old are the girls in question? That may have some bearing on it as well. Cold certainly affects some girls more than others. My three little EE's are doing the best job out of every one. They each lay an egg every day. They haven't missed a beat all winter and we've had some very cold days and even colder nights.

As for light, I keep a 25 watt red bulb going 24/7. It doesn't give off any heat and not all that much light. It's more for me to be able to see them to count noses by at night.

Feed wise, their standard daily fare is dry COB [rolled corn, oats & barley] with some BOSS mixed in, plain chicken scratch and layer crumble to ensure that the nutrition is as balanced and complete as I can get it in a processed formula. They also get any available left overs from the kitchen, much to the dismay of the dog!
gig.gif
I dunno....I guess I must be doing something right. Out of 14 girls of laying age in the main coop, I'm averaging about 10-12 eggs a day. Every now and then we hit a low count day, but by and large, those are the kind of numbers I see on a daily basis.

I'd say that your biggest problem was/is that squirrel. They're vermin IMHO, and should be treated about the same as you would weasel, mink or rat: With a big old steel rat trap, out of reach of the chickens, but certainly where vermin could get to it. Load it up with peanut butter. I've yet to see a rodent that could resist peanut butter!
old.gif
[yes, this is the voice of experience speaking] And always remember...where you see one, there are bound to be others.
wink.png
Hope ya get the little scoundrel.

These girls are coming into their second year. I intend to run a cord to put a light in the coop. Not an egg from any of them again today. They're eating and drinking just fine. I had moved the feeder out of the coop and into the run to make it easier for DW while I was away but I will move it back inside. They weren't all that great of layers during the summer, but at least I got eggs.

as for the squirrels, I have a rat trap nailed to the tree near one of the coops and have caught three young ones so far. I have also caught three older one in the big trap. (don't ask what I do with them).
wink.png
I have another I'll nail to a heavy board and lean it against the fence, high enough so the chickens can't get to it.

Back
Top Bottom