Sdwd

goodpost.gif

I was just talking to my aunt a few weeks ago about the way things were done in the good old days. And while this isn't exactally food related I thought it was interesting. She told me how when she was growing up her mama would drag out the mattresses every summer and beat them and let them lay in the sun. Then she would take a bag of sulfur and light it on fire and toss it under the house. They never had any problems with bugs of any kind, bed bugs or nothing. Now we hear so many stories about the growing problems with bed bugs.
idunno.gif

I was relating the one and only time we had a problem was with bed bugs. My mother said came from relative who stayed with us. Which happened more than once, them staying with us, not the cooties.

Anyhow she opened the bedroom window, threw the mattresses out and burned them right there on the front lawn. I was young and don't remember to much about it. Just the burning on the lawn part.

Yes have you ever smelled sulfur burning pe'ewee
sickbyc.gif

Today our houses smell TOO good (glade candles and scents are just a cloak/mask over of what's really lurking in our presence and are inviting to such critters). The laying of the mattresses out in the sun during spring cleaning is one of the most natural cleaners of bad stuffs(bacterias, crites that thrive in skin dander and such). Have you ever watched turtles and other underwater critters laying out sunning on a warm sunshiney day, this is just what they are doing to killing off bacterias that grow on them. I could go on but I will stop. There's gruesome stuffs that live amongst/on/off of us. LOL

Jeff

I do this too. Not for bugs just to get my joints warmed up so I can move. I am not kidding. That's why I want to move South. Arthritis kills.

sulfur is a stinker for sure. But it made some good dried apple slices that made some great apple pies in winter. Yes the mattresses got sunshine ,so did the pillows. We always hug the linens on the line to dry to. They smelled great when you brought them in, just be careful you didn.'t grab a wasp with them. Then we dampened the crisp hard sheets and ironed them before putting them on the beds. Lots more work than today. If I remember right there was always lots of hard work to do. Getting the food was hard, preparing it hard and putting it by hard. But in the end we appreciated it and knew where it came from. I never felt poor either. I was well feed, well clothed and well loved. Gloria Jean

Yes have you ever smelled sulfur burning pe'ewee
sickbyc.gif

Today our houses smell TOO good (glade candles and scents are just a cloak/mask over of what's really lurking in our presence and are inviting to such critters). The laying of the mattresses out in the sun during spring cleaning is one of the most natural cleaners of bad stuffs(bacterias, crites that thrive in skin dander and such). Have you ever watched turtles and other underwater critters laying out sunning on a warm sunshiney day, this is just what they are doing to killing off bacterias that grow on them. I could go on but I will stop. There's gruesome stuffs that live amongst/on/off of us. LOL

Jeff
She did tell me that it smelled awful.
A lot of those scent things just about kill me. Walking down the laundry isle at the store is really bed.
I think I need to have some warm sunshiney days to kill off whatever is got a hold of me. I have been sick with some kind of reoccurring cold ever since halloween.
sulfur is a stinker for sure. But it made some good dried apple slices that made some great apple pies in winter. Yes the mattresses got sunshine ,so did the pillows. We always hug the linens on the line to dry to. They smelled great when you brought them in, just be careful you didn.'t grab a wasp with them. Then we dampened the crisp hard sheets and ironed them before putting them on the beds. Lots more work than today. If I remember right there was always lots of hard work to do. Getting the food was hard, preparing it hard and putting it by hard. But in the end we appreciated it and knew where it came from. I never felt poor either. I was well feed, well clothed and well loved. Gloria Jean
goodpost.gif

Well I do remember reading a newspaper article about this woman who as a kid was taken from her family along with her siblings and put in homes.

She said "We didn't know we were poor until someone told us".

Point being , sometimes it's others who tell us , when we don't really think we are.

"Comparison is the thief of joy". - T. Roosevelt.

Who is poor?
the one without love that has all the money in the world? Or the one has just enough money to get by that has loads of joy and love? I think I prefer the latter. Gloria Jean

Amen to that Gloria Jean! We didn't have a whole heck of a lot when I was a kid either. But we were happy. I know there were more moments of laughter than tears, and that was all that mattered. That, and a roof over our heads that didn't leak, clothes that kept us warm, and food in our bellies. All the rest is just so much stuff that gets lost or forgotten along the way.......................

Back
Top Bottom