Sdwd

Still I would not leave my coops open 24/7 unless I was willing to lose an entire flock of birds. Ain't happening here. Locked up til I go out and let them out.
Tim

I lock everyone up at night as well. My coops open into a covered run (each about 20x20) and I lock them into the run/coop combo so that they have access to "outdoors" even if I don't let them free range. Darn nighttime critters are tough to handle, even with my set up

I have had hawks but they have not taken any birds but the hawks are around in the daytime and we are out working during the day and the crows do chase them off if they see them.
Hawks have been my only problem so far . I put out the Scarehawks and none since. That doesnt mean I won't though . Crows are my friend . We have a Rookery behind us and have seen them chase the Hawks.
In the spring when crows have young they even chase off the Buzzards if they get to close to the nursery.

Fortunately I've only lost 5 birds in the 5 years I've had chickens. Four to a coon the first month I had them and one to a hawk this spring. Black birds show up quite well against the snow.

I do have runs but don't leave the pop hole door open, but I do get up early to let them out. Some have the yard, others are let out of the run to range when I'm home.

gig.gif
Oh! I know the feeling! I've had days just like that!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom