Sdwd

Oh, Kathy, I'm sorry about your daughter. Hope she recovers quickly and they find out what the real problem is.

Tim, from a post I made about the Columbian issue:

Spoke to a very respected breeder and heritage breed expert today who mentioned the Columbian influence and wanted to share it with you. Hackles are not the only sign of Columbian blood. Super black tail and hackle in the female, narrow body, very distinct, dark, barring in the hackle as well as the gray to blackish undercolor can indicate Columbian ancestry.

I was also told by this long time breeder(no, not seriousbill), that Delawares with smut in their fluff, moss in their back plumage, and black showing through in the shoulders of the males are also telltale signs of outcrossing to Columbian Rock at some point.

Also, drawing from a conversation with this same man, on Feathersite are examples of all these things. Some of the lighter birds are showing hints of rust coming through the white areas. Excess stray black undercolor bleeding through the thin transparent white surface feathers and often off colored shanks as well are also signs of Columbian.​

Hey Scott, I think you got me beat! I've only got one roo I think is good enough to keep. I will try to get some pictures to post. Got 4 hens left, three I like, the other I'll have to keep. Hope to start hatching in the spring. I've lost a few more since we talked last, down to 9 total and will lose two more roos I'm sure.

I sure like your number 2 and 4 roos, leaning more toward number 4, I don't think the white wings hurt anything, but I'm certainly no expert.

Quote:
Well....ummmm....it's a little bit of both actually. I mean, this is the thread of the Society for Delaware World Domination after all!
lol.png
Eventually we do talk about Del's and everything related to them. But there are other things that pop up as well. Mostly what you have here is a group of folks that love their Dels, and the rest of their flocks as well. I don't think anyone that has posted to this thread thus far has had exclusively Delaware flocks and nothing else. Some of us don't even have a single Dellie. We just appreciate the breed: their appearance as well as personalities.
wink.png
[pointing at myself here]

If you want strictly discussions on the genetics and breeding of these fine birds, then the "Show off your Delawares" thread might be just the place for you. Here's the link to that thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=249618

I think I've seen one or two other threads around for the sole discussion of breeding and genetics questions as well, but I can't remember the name of the thread. Just look around in the "Breeds, Genetics and Showings" forum. You're sure to find them.

Just know that you're always welcome any time in this thread Tim!
hugs.gif

Quote:
Kathy, prayers and good thoughts are winging their way to you and your daughter and the baby as I type this.
hugs.gif
Please, let us know how she's doing as soon as you hear anything. I hope and pray that it is a simple thing and that they can have her up and running as good as new in very short order.

Is this her first child? When is her due date?

OK, candles lit, prayers fervently said, and hugs sent along the wires.
hugs.gif

Kathy I will put your DD in my prayers. One thing they overlooked so many times (it nearly killed me having Cheyenne) is eclampsia. Watch that girl good mama. Mine started out the same way...darker urine, high ketones and then it progressed to gestational diabetes and then slightly elevated BP...the next month's check up they tried to put me in an ambulance....my BP was 165/102 by the time I drove myself to the hospital, it was 173/119. 4 days later I crashed with BP of 258/189 and I was going in the ER in full real failure, had a stroke and had my blod would not clot. So please dear lady...make the check and triple check.

If I had not been so healthy before the pregnancy and through the first two trimesters....neither of us would be here and by all rights, I should not be here. Even the doctor had tears in his eyes right up to the point I told him "Look get my daughter and let me die" I sign a NRO, wrote letters to my father, my son and Cheyenne then told him "Don't worry doc, I have not given my two weeks notice at work so I am not allowed to die, firm policy, if I am meant to raise her I will". He got his butt in gear and went after Cheyenne. She was a healthy 2 lb 10 ounce eating machine, I was much worse for the wear.

So please please have them check her kidneys, her blood sugar and her BP...even for the slightest change because it came on lightening fast and I never felt a thing until I crashed.
hugs.gif
Please keep us posted.

Oh Lord , Kathy I do hope things get better. I have my DD living with us cuz she was fainting and having problems and I worry to much. She's due any day. Course I had to let her hus come too. I can just imagine the stress your under. God Bless your family.

Quote:
Well....ummmm....it's a little bit of both actually. I mean, this is the thread of the Society for Delaware World Domination after all!
lol.png
Eventually we do talk about Del's and everything related to them. But there are other things that pop up as well. Mostly what you have here is a group of folks that love their Dels, and the rest of their flocks as well. I don't think anyone that has posted to this thread thus far has had exclusively Delaware flocks and nothing else. Some of us don't even have a single Dellie. We just appreciate the breed: their appearance as well as personalities.
wink.png
[pointing at myself here]

If you want strictly discussions on the genetics and breeding of these fine birds, then the "Show off your Delawares" thread might be just the place for you. Here's the link to that thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=249618

I think I've seen one or two other threads around for the sole discussion of breeding and genetics questions as well, but I can't remember the name of the thread. Just look around in the "Breeds, Genetics and Showings" forum. You're sure to find them.

Just know that you're always welcome any time in this thread Tim!
hugs.gif

Yes I know what your saying is true but some of the folks I respect in this area are here. I'm here to promote Delaware Domination and keep everyone on track.
lol.png

You have no Delawares? That's practically sacrelige.
lol.png
Where do you live? Just don't be surprised if some day you see Delwares running around your yard and wondering how they got there.

Maybe I'll just go around the country sneaking into coops and sticking Delaware eggs under all the broodies. Kinda like a science fiction movie. That'll fix you.
lol.png
Wonder how long a dog can stay tazzed?
lol.png

Well I saw Dr. Phil this morning and considering what he was talking about sticking eggs in hen houses seems mild.
lol.png
With the internet he'll never run out of topics for shows.
lol.png

Well the sun is coming up let the insanity begin.

have a nice day folks.

My 4 week old del chicks are holding to my last post. One Cockerel and one Pullet. I am so happy that I have a Del pullet. Now I will just have to make a decision on which Roo to keep. Or maybe like I have said all along, I will put Red in the stew pot and keep Lucky and Ellis. We will see. Any tips on introducing new birds to a flock. Here is my plan. I have a chicken tractor that is too heavy to move right next to the run. I thought I would put the new chicks in the tractor and keep them there till they are bigger. Then when they are closer to the size of the other chickens, I will move them at night into the coop and see how it goes. What do you think

Now on to random ramblings. I just want to scream at my DS. We asked him to help us with the goat barn for about 15 min yesterday with some heavy lifting. He got all bent out of shape saying that it is not fair to ask him to help without a few days notice. After about 45 min arguement, he packed up his stuff and left. Now I have no idea where he is, or what he is doing. He is supposed to sign up for classes this week and certainly doesn't have the money in his bank account. He lost his debit card so doesnt have any money besides the 100 in his pocket. We told him he needed to get a job, sign up for classes or move out, and that we were not going to support a full time video game habit with our hard work. I guess he decided to try to support the habit with his good looks
barnie.gif
Ok. I got it off my chest a little. Kids sure can be aggravating.

Back
Top Bottom