Sdwd

Quote:
You ready for that cochin rooster for Hera yet? I have a buff columbian/mille cross that would be perfect for her
wink.png
He is a big bantam.

Amy...yes poor little one's bone was snapped and the outer/lower part of the wing taken off. But little one is doing nicely. I have been draining the puffy pocket, cleaning it and applying triple antibiotic ointment several times per day and it is healing nicely. The baby does not even notice the portion missing....it is acting just like its broodermates (I have the other 3 here with it too).

Cyn, she best get to sprouting then because she has notta up there. LOL

Quote:
You ready for that cochin rooster for Hera yet? I have a buff columbian/mille cross that would be perfect for her
wink.png
He is a big bantam.

I will get pics of that girl to show you...I still have no clue if she is a huge bantam or a small standard. Right now she is in with Spike and his girls...she is none too happy about that. But the injured baby needed her cage. Spike likes her though...he was dancing up a storm for her today. LOL He looks like a dwarf next to her though. hahahaha

Show me pics of this perfect boy Nella because if she does not grow anymore she will need a man, somewhat her size. LOL

Last edited:
Bring on the pictures! Since I had the d'uccles that will be a good comparison.

I rehomed all of my d'uccles today except for the last porcelain rooster and the mille fleur girl. She was supposed to go too but got away from me when I was loading them up. Whoops, maybe next time. The hawk is going to have to pick on larger birds now.

I don't have any good pix of the boy. Here are a few from back in July when he was on babysitter patrol for the younguns....he is nice and typey....

24277_downsized_0723001908a.jpg

24277_downsized_0723001907.jpg

sorry to hear of so many chick problems. The books never say how common things can be. Seems to me if you have chickens you will have problems. None of the nostagic stories every mention sick birds. So here's a couple of trick pics to diagnose.

23908_mark_and_fair_chickens_056.jpg
23908_mark_and_fair_chickens_062.jpg

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS ROOSTERS COMB AND WHAT IS ON THIS CHICKENS LEGS? I use DE and have put it in the dusting holes in the yard. It's been warm so the ground is dry. I throw some in during the day after the dew has dried.

Oh and I got my first green egg today. Hallelujah! Not big but green none the less.

Love ya all, G' night
Rancher

Quote:
Well, I really don't know. I have never kept any long enough to see. I have hatched green eggs sired by Marans (to make Olive Eggers), and they always show their little muffs right away, if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Amy, I sure hope your Abby well. I wish I could help, but I have a terrible time trying to figure these things out, and end up just trying a little bit of everything.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Love the pictures! I especially love that big ol' DeDe! That little blue Orp girl is gonna be a beauty, isn't she? Oh yes, I see it now .... another gorgeous Orp girl with attitude!

Quote:
OH NO ! ! ! I am so sorry! I sure hope she comes along ok. I know she will get the best care ever from you! Ya know, I remember reading Nathalie Ross's article on wounds, and she said to always use injectable Penicillin with any kind of animal bite or wound caused by another animal. Have you read that article? I am sure you already know what to do, but here is the article if you are interested ... It is post # 7 here ..... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2544011

Quote:
Oh my, what would case his comb to look like that???? Is it genetics? The legs? Hmmmm, I see dirty legs, I think.
hu.gif
But what causes that redness? I have seen that in pictures before too. Look at all the feathers .... is he molting?

Quote:
woot.gif
Congratulations! Now you can have green eggs and ham for breakfast!
gig.gif

Thank you for the kind thoughts Kathy.
hugs.gif
I always appreciate that.

Well, I tried to entice Abby with small cut up bits of apple, but it was a total failure. I think that due to the late hour of when I finally did have time to try them on her, she was just too tired to have any interest in them whatsoever.
sad.png
I'll try again tomorrow when she's hopefully more alert and rested.

Don't worry, the apple bits didn't go to waste. FussyButt thought it was a lovely bedtime snack!
lol.png
Even Pump House Princesses get a bit peckish after sundown I guess.

Tim, I'm not entirely sure there is anything wrong with that roosters' legs.
hu.gif
I have two boys, Brutus and Chief, who both have those red/pink/orange-ish dots on their legs. They certainly didn't hatch with those, but as they matured, more and more dots became evident. I thought there was something wrong them too at that time. But since I didn't see the condition spreading to any of my other birds, I chalked it up to a genetic thing. But, as I say, that's just my experience with the dots. Someone more well versed in these matters could probably give you a much better answer. Now then: We need new pictures of Darcy now!!
lol.png
Please?

Rancher, seems to be some inflamation in both the comb and legs. Not sure what it is. Have you tried a post on the site in general to get more feedback?

You all, I know I don't say much but just want to say that this is one of the most friendly group of people I know. I just love getting on line every day to see what everyone is up to.

Cetawin, I know that little baby is going to do just fine. She will probably end up being a house chicken sitting with you in front of the TV. And if not, you can be assured that she will not fly up into the trees for you to climb after like some of your other girls.

Yesterday I was sitting out in the yard with the girls. Martha (BO) the most physically immature of all of the chickens who gets picked on by the roosters, was sitting contentedly on my shoulder when she let loose and pooped all over my back.
ep.gif
Of all the......... I guess that is the price we pay for having chickens that love us so.
lau.gif

The red in the legs is normal.....hormonal thing I think. If he was loose he'd be out chasing the ladies.....The comb....who knows....I had a rooster with a swollen comb like that...he had been in a big ol fight and it was swollen and painful looking for days.

Hard to tell in the picture but under all the dried blood, it was quite poofy.

24277_0718002208.jpg

Maybe that rooster had some sort of swelling in the comb from trauma?

Back
Top Bottom