Sdwd

Ugh, lost 2 more chickens this week! What the heck. I had ZERO losses prior to this year. Found one of my silver laced cochin pullets dead in a nest box one night. She was perfectly fine the night before as her and her sister and a 3rd girl missed night lockup and tried to spend the night in the covered pen. I put them all in the coop and the next night she was dead in the nest box. She was near point of lay or maybe that had something to do with it?

And last night one of my dogs found a huge pile of feathers out back. I took a closer look and it was my adorable bearded blue favorelle/cochin pullet. She was about 3-4 months old. Hawk again maybe? She would have been small enough to carry off once killed. There was a HUGE PILE of feathers near the back fence but no body.

Survival of the fittest at Nellabean's house. Haven't lost any of my adult large fowl birds to the hawk. Guessing I need to figure out a way to get all of my small birds covered.......easier said than done. I'm sure then it will target the big birds, but so far in the 2 hawk attacks i have witnessed on the large fowl birds.......both times the bird was able to fight off the hawk and remained unharmed.

Sigh.

Cyn, it sounds like the other Georgia Bacon is going to do well- I will have to keep up with his blog- I am interested in hearing what happens, teaching as well as eating!

Nella, I am sorry you are losing more babies- I know you are still trying to downsize - maybe once you get down to your 50 you can keep them under closer wraps?

Last edited:
Ugh. Heard something weird and looked out back.......all the chickens and ducks appeared to be hiding. So i went out with 1 of the dogs. The darn hawk was sitting in the grass in the back of the yard, near the most recent kill (from a couple days ago). It flew off when i walked back there and saw it. Agh!

I left 1 of my dogs out there...i need to run to the feed store..........ugh. Darn hawk.

So sorry, those darn hawks. I was very thankful that our Livestock Guardian Puppies (3 months old) barked away a raccoon last night. Already they are worth their weight in gold.
They live with the goats but seem to protect the whole yard.

Tonight, while the chickens were out around the yard found 2 cracked eggs in the fridge. I decided to cook them up some eggs, tomatoes, peas, and corn. Not the dish I would crave, but the chickens sure loved it. It gave me such joy to see them eat up their treat with gusto. Then my sweet little Martha came over to sit on my lap to thank me for the treat. As it started raining (first rain in 5 weeks) I called them all to the pen with some scratch. Now all are tucked in for the night.

Before I got chickens, I never thought that an evening like this would be so relaxing.

Cynthia....what grumpy parts? Oh puleeeease we will take the 363 days of good and the 2 bad any year. Clone woman clone.
gig.gif

Janelle, this sounds like a Juvenile hawk....it is not very big is it? If it were an adult it would have killed the big fowl or really messed them up. So....are firecrackers illegal in TN? You need to A- break up it's dive n swoop space and B scare the crap out of it a few times.

You know those firecrackers that are strung together? Take those in sections and when you see the hawk in the yar or nearby tree, light a strong of them and chuck em in its directions. Do that a few days in a row and it may move on somewhere else.

Call the department of wildlife and let them know you have a nuisance hawk, explain it is killing livestock/poultry and has settled in...it is not a migrating bird. See if they will help with relocation or permit to dispatch.

Well, I only rarely give out scratch. Today I did .... the new-comers, the Barred Rocks wouldn't touch it! What's up with that? Not even the corn in it. So then, I gave everyone their yogurt. I mix it in with some feed, so it is less wet and messy. Again, the BRs wouldn't touch it. I stood and watched awhile. It looks to me like one of the roos is already the Alpha. He would go around and check out each new thing I presented. I think he is the one that said no, and they all do as he requests. Anyway that is how it looked to me. As I saw a couple others attempt to check it out and he would slowly walk past them and brush against them, and they would leave the area.

I went into the garage to check on the new Silkie mama, and found this .....

31282_2010_0926brroos9-23-100052.jpg

I had to pick her up to see, and this is what I found .....

31282_2010_0926brroos9-23-100056.jpg

Then, I went outside to check on the EE mama and babies. Mama decided it was time for a dust bath. there were 4 or 5 others dust bathing.

31282_2010_0926brroos9-23-100109.jpg

She chased them all off .....

31282_2010_0926brroos9-23-100110.jpg

Look at those legs .... one has yellow and one has green ....

31282_2010_0926brroos9-23-100112.jpg

That lasted about 60 seconds, and they moved on ....

31282_2010_0926brroos9-23-100132.jpg

31282_2010_0926brroos9-23-100127.jpg

31282_2010_0926brroos9-23-100101.jpg

31282_2010_0926brroos9-23-100102.jpg

Here are her sisters ..... See the one molting....

31282_2010_0926brroos9-23-100070.jpg

Poor thing ....

31282_2010_0926brroos9-23-100072.jpg

Oh Kathy they are adorable. That one little Dellie cross looks like Hedwig.
love.gif

I cannot believe you took a picture of a lady molting....there is a law against that...shameful!

Quote:
Woman, your math is off.
tongue.png

Rained all day long so I made this while waiting for my customer to give the okay (or not) on the other quilt. This is only on the flannel board, the three rows are not completely sewn together.

DSCN0135.jpg

OH CYN..... I love that!!!!
love.gif
What a beautiful baby quilt that will be!

Oh Kathy they are adorable. That one little Dellie cross looks like Hedwig. I cannot believe you took a picture of a lady molting....there is a law against that...shameful!

Have you decided if Hedwig is male or female yet? Just by looking at these 2, and their leg size, I think these 2 are girls. What color are Hedwig's legs?​

Back
Top Bottom