Sdwd

Hey I just prayed for an easy winter, I didn't ask God to give the snow to you. I really didn't care what He did with it, I just didn't want it here. Course if He thought you deserved it who am I to argue with Him?
lau.gif

Love you just the same

Rancher

If the hoop is still standing tomorrow, i will try to knock snow off it somehow. Honestly it is at the point of making me really uncomfortable being near it. I'd almost prefer if it would just collapse and be done with it. I will remove that extra 2 feet of wire and then rebuild it, so that it can easily have the snow knocked off in the future.

I am so happy i spent those hours out in the cold in my PJs the other morning cleaning the "rooster" coop so i could move my mottled flock in there.

Nella, ya got any boards to stick up like tent poles to keep it from comin down completely? Or old style tent poles you could stake in there as some form of support?

Quote:
OH, now that is a great idea! I bet she has some 2x4s or something like that laying around!

If I were closer, I got 8 tent poles that would work. I use em under a tarp for camping for shade. We even got some 20ft 4x6's layin around I'd bring her, if it weren't such a long drive!

Pfffft! Buncha amateurs! Nella girl! Listen up and listen up good! This is a very simple problem, and one I faced every year until I smartened up and put a more stout and permanent roof over the run.

Here's what ya do: Grab your push broom, [you do have one of those, don't you? Or was that Cynthia's I just saw in a picture?] go inside the run, stick the head of the push broom up against the underside of the tarps and start shaking the living bejeebers out of it! The snow will slide off, even though much of it will likely be trapped by the chicken fencing lower down. But, you can reach that from the outside and deal with from there!

Your only drawback will be if the snow has partially melted up there and then refrozen. In that case, the ice will be very well stuck to the tarp, and that means that you will have to really shake the living daylights out of it! Sometimes I've had to resort to hitting it with a baseball bat to break up the ice and work it loose from the tarps.

For future reference, go out there and shake the tarps from the inside anytime you get up to about 2 or 3 inches of snow. The more there is, the harder it is to get off. And you definitely don't want to wait in the hopes that it will all just melt off. Overnight lows will glue that snow to the tarps just as sure as I'm sitting here!

And if you don't have a push broom, just make up a pole with a 2x4 cross piece on the end of it. Anything broad and flat will do actually. You just want to get the pressure you'll be applying to be widely dispersed so that you don't rip the tarps!
wink.png

See? Living with insomnia and cold northern climates can have its useful moments!
gig.gif
barnie.gif
And I still have a splitting headache!
sickbyc.gif

ETA: Tim, the next time you pray for a milder winter, specify to the Almighty that he can send the snow over here! I love the stuff!!
lol.png
Just don't tell my husband I said to do that! He'd clobber me for sure!
hide.gif
gig.gif

Last edited:
Morning all....in case any of you were worried
hide.gif
, Ms Lily was warm as toast and purring up a storm this morning. Only 18F here, high of 28. Still have snow EVERYWHERE....what a mess

Oh well, need coffee!!

Talk to y'all in a bit

Back
Top Bottom