Sdwd

Quote:
I wish you were closer...I would SOOOOOOOOOOO be on your doorstep! I unfortunately have an unreliable car, so travel out of state is a no no.
hit.gif

For those talking about adding bleach to the water...any ill effects from doing this??

I will add one thing, about the bleach. It is something to be careful about.

I've not dealt with it with chickens before, but I have with horses (horses have a pretty sensitive digestive system). You have to be careful about how much chlorine ends up in the drinking water, as it'll strip all the good gut bacteria and cause serious digestion issues, colic and even death. I'd imagine its not too far different with chickens or even us humans for that matter.

If you have city/county water, it might be worth it to get it tested if possible, or contact the local water dept and get some information.

Oh, Scott,
fl.gif
for that job interview!

Many, many years ago, [so long ago that I ain't telling! It would date me!] my dad used to use bleach in the water buckets for his pigeons. Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. I remember him telling me, when I asked why, that it was to keep illness in the flock to a minimum. He kept bleach in their water year round. We never had any kind of disease problems in that flock, in over 20 years of keeping them. And believe me, there were times when the size of the flock was far larger than what his coop should have accommodated!

Thanks for the memory nudge Scott. I'll be adding it today! Here's hoping it will cure what ails the flock.
fl.gif

Quote:
I got hold of Beaner before any boxing was done. He doesn't know what he's missing, so waiting is now big deal. I was talking to him last night, as he was scarfing up some scratch, about how he'd better be good so he could become spoiled rotten.

thanks Scott,
Why didn't I think of that. This year I have warmers under my water. I bet the bacteria is rampant. I do wash and clean them everyday and give fresh water but even then the waterers look yucky by the next day. That is an excellent idea and I will run with it today. Yeah! help from SDWD friends again.!!!!
celebrate.gif
Gloria Jean

Quote:
You and me both Gloria Jean! I just gathered up their buckets from yesterday and gave them their new buckets this morning. I didn't put the bleach in yet. I'm all out!
he.gif
Looks like another trip to town in the very near future. *sigh* Oh well, I needed to get some more of those Dollar Tree buckets anyhow. And it's for my babies! I'd crawl across broken glass and walk through fire for them, cuz hey, they are my babies!
love.gif

Can't go into town today dang it! Our new refrigerator for the house is arriving sometime between 2 and 4 this afternoon.
celebrate.gif
And I still have a ton of chicken chores ahead of me yet today. Not to mention the fact that it's snowing again! Still loving the snow, just not the timing so much. But by God, tomorrow! Get out of my way! I'm going to town for BLEACH!!!
ya.gif
Now let's just hope this does the trick!
fl.gif

ETA: I meant to say this earlier but forgot. Gloria Jean, I think you might be on to something there with the warmer's under your water buckets. I don't have the warmers, but I have been consistently giving my flock warm water in the mornings on account of how cold it has been. Just a little something to help them warm up on these cold winter days. It may be that I was simply giving the strain of E. Coli [if that is what this is] a happy home and jeopardizing my birds in the same token. Live and learn, eh?
roll.png

Last edited:
Well gosh, that must be why my chickens are healthy. I crack the ice in the waterdishes and tell them to drink fast before it freezes back over. I carry buckets of water straight from the (no freeze) hose spigot down the hill, down out the ice shards and then refill. My chickens dont know what the phrase heat lamp means. They must think it means the bright shiny thing inside the house where the nonfeathered tall and clothed "chickens" live.

Survival of the fittest at Nella's house. Survive or don't.

One of the dogs found a feathered hunk in the yard last night and ran around so excited. I was thinking well crud, that must be a hunk of one of the young birds that must have gotten killed by a hawk today. I had counted only 9 younguns instead of 10 in the big coop. So I tie up the dog, go get a shovel and flashlight and pick it up. Its a dead wild bird. Well alrighty then. Go back to the coop to recount and see a splash youngster on the top roost nestled between two of my older hens, happy as can be.

ON a sidenote: my SUPER CHICKEN saddles (3) and regular saddles (8) are shipping today! I am going to get all the hens humanly possible fitted with saddles again. I have at least 10 from last year leftover, plus this new batch of 11, so I'm hopefull that I can get at least 20 of the girls covered. Okay maybe its not survival of the fittest after all. Nice girls
smile.png

Last edited:
I have used bleach in the waterers for quite some time. I used to use vinegar, and still do on occasion, but usually use bleach or Oxine.

Sun is shining here, but it is only 22*. Mike is outside shoveling snow. I think we got about 2 or 3 inches. Our forecast for the next few days is staying the same, around 25 - 30* for the high. YUK, I hate winter weather. Heck, most of my chickens won't even step foot out of the coop in the snow.

I hate that I didn't get all of the pens cleaned out last week. I still have 3 pens to clear out, but I was too lazy to run into town and buy more bedding. I hate having dirty bedding. I don't agree with the people that say with the deep litter method you can avoid changing out litter but a couple times a year. I probably change it at least once a month.

Well, you all keep warm today, and drive safely!

Have you ever had a strong gut feeling something would work. Thats the way I felt this am when I was cloroxing scrubbing etc. then the buckets full of water now and look really nice. No more tetracycline stain in them. Not as many seem sick this am. Maybe it is the better weather. I feel it is probably a sinus infection as Scotts had. I have not had any more symptoms except the clear drainage.
fl.gif
it works. Serrin I will let you know how it does. I am really excitted about this. I just knew it had to be something simple. Gloria Jean

PS Nella thats what I did with the water too for the last 4 years.

Last edited:
I want everyone to be sure they understand I cut/pasted the "bleach thing" from another thread. Fortunately, that wasn't MY issue

I just thought about Gloria Jean and her situation when I saw it

I can't take credit for anything other than "stumbling" across it

Back
Top Bottom