Sdwd

I'm going with rock, simply because my leghorns look a little diff at that age. I don't have a picture of them to help you out at the moment..but that's just my 2 cents worth
cool.png

LH....my guess is that those are white rocks. But.....I ain't no expert on 'em, so time will tell.

Cyn....when you used that mister/vaporizer on your birds with Virkon, what type of dilution did you use? I am in "precautionary" mode today.....just let everyone out, sprinkled scratch out in the clover field and after they all "pigged out" I notice a few of them coughing and/or sneezing. Could be dust I guess, but thought I'd ask and be prepared just in case

Weather here is WONDERFUL again this morning. Was 59 when I got up. Low humidity and a little breeze. The drop in temps is nice but hope we aren't already getting into the "dry season" as we really need some rain badly

Y'all have a great day!

Yard - I've got some rain for you. If I could send it I would. I wouldn't mind so much but the drainage here isn't good and everything stays muddy wet.

Still have things to do before winter. Doesn't look like the tomatoes will make it and I've had to raise the squash up off the ground to keep them from rotting. Tried some blue hubbards this year. I did lose one plant due to cooties. I should have dusted them sooner. Have some nice parsely and swiss chard for the chickens though. I have to get ready to plant some garlic. I really should get a load of horse manure and get the beds prepared for the spring. Good Lord willing.

Cyn - I'm not seeing many Dels.

Since this is a Del posting, sort of , who has what? Right now I've got 20 hens and two roosters. I'm looking to see who my breeders will be next spring. I usually only have three. Which is why when folks want eggs it's hard to get enough in time to send them.

Type is very hard with this breed I think. I'd really like a bigger space for them or reduce to 15 hens. I'm looking for the egg production in this breed too. The ALBC has a nice article in the news letter I get on what constitutes a pure bred heritage bird. Basically if it looks and performs like the standard it can be assumed the genetics is there. That's the way I understand it.

Kathi - do you have a standard for the BR's? So far they are doing fine though I don't spend enough time with them to make the friendly enough that they don't freak out everytime I show up. I'll have to work on that.
big_smile.png
Not that friendliness is part of the standard.

Well take care folks and have a nice day,

rancher

Cyn....when you used that mister/vaporizer on your birds with Virkon, what type of dilution did you use? I am in "precautionary" mode today.....just let everyone out, sprinkled scratch out in the clover field and after they all "pigged out" I notice a few of them coughing and/or sneezing. Could be dust I guess, but thought I'd ask and be prepared just in case

Not Virkon, Oxine AH. I wouldn't use Virkon. A gallon with about 6 oz. of Oxine.​

You're welcome, Scott.

Oh, Nugget is running around clucking again. She's trying to go broody, yet again, this year. Guess she wants to make this a quarterly thing. Smoky started laying again today so maybe I'll have a few pure BBS Orps to put underneath her, if fertility is back in again. Wish the D'Anvers would start laying.

Here are 6 Barred Rock pullets I have growing out.

31282_8-16-11m002.jpg

31282_8-16-11m001.jpg

And, in another grow out pen, here are some Project birds (and a few of my Dels) I have growing out.
These are from cock #2. The ones laying are from cock #1.

31282_8-16-11m010.jpg

31282_8-16-11m011.jpg

Last edited:
They look great, Kathy!

Isaac seems completely fine today. Amazing, but the Oxine and the cooler, less humid weather seem to have done the trick for him, for now. But, then, he hasn't been chasing the girls, not even the younger Buff Orps I gave him from Rex's group. Gypsy and Georgie are better, too. I think we have this fungal thing on the run now.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom