Sdwd

Quote:
I kept 6 black chicks from my last hatch. I am thinking one is a male, though not 100% sure yet. I will get a picture. They were hatched Oct 19.

After hatching 200 chicks, I believe I have TWO female Delawares to work with. That's it!
th.gif

Quote:
Oh yeah she can throw a tantrum. That was over the mare and foal from next door being out. The foal had been in the pasture with her and it left to go back to mama after mama got all pissy with Jo at the fence. That did not go over well at all. Baby wanted to stay with Jo, Jo wanted baby to stay and mare wanted baby back. It was stressful for a bit. In that video she was biting at my jacket, my hair and trying to 'threaten', I just do not take her guff and she knows it. But I understood why she was upset so I just kept pushing her away if she had been having a Diva tantrum I would have been more stern with her but she was having a mama diva tantrum alpha diva combo so I handled it differently. LOL Shoot, you should have seen her when she was screaming, racing around her pond and running at me full speed....the video was shot after she calmed down (a little).
gig.gif

Here ya go Amy here are a couple more of the Diva Do for you

Her CALM fit, tantrum budding LOL

Her morning routine

The crew with poor Chewy late to the party

Last edited:
Quote:
It really gives you a huge appreciation for what the original creator of the Delaware [sorry, his name eludes me at the moment] went through to achieve and establish the breed, doesn't it?!? Keep up the good work Kathy. Eventually, we'll have your determination and passion to thank for the purest lines of Delaware's that this world has seen since their original founding!
hugs.gif

Quote:
Peanuts are like rabbit runts - extremely small lil runts - they are like double dwarfs - two dwarf genes - so they are oddly small an dusually dont make it long

Yep, they are like the dwarf people that are out of proportion and have lots of issues. They usually die before they are weaning age.

I think Faith kills hers.....last time she has a dead peanut too. Who knows....won't be breeding her again anyways. Kinda bummed Star had only 1 normal and 2 peanuts, but better than none! We'll see what the others have.....

Kathy you were only supposed to get 1 in a hundred by the odds, so you did it! And two, laying well, will give you several hatches of perfect Delawares!
jumpy.gif

Cetawin, the Diva would have made a magnificent war horse - can't you just see her???? I love those videos!

Yay for Ellie!!!!!
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif

Well, does ANYONE want a gorgeous black JG roo, a gorgeous black Orp roo or a fantastic BR roo from the same line Cyn and Kathy have? I have hidden the BR from the Great Chicken Processor at this point, but he is going to figure things out - I HATE processing, I HATE IT, I DETEST IT, IT TEARS MY SOUL UP. I think I need to try for pics and put them up for sale here on BYC- they are really too nice to eat, especially the BR and one Orp boy -
hit.gif

Nella, I am sorry about the peanuts, that is always a sad thing.

Last edited:
Anyone want to hear the really dumb thing I did last night?
hide.gif

Did my rounds after dark to make sure the run doors were secure, etc. and saw a racoon sitting in the doorway of the Delaware coop. Scooped up a board and ran shrieking like a fishwife at it, hit it while it climbed up the coop and out the gap in the netting I had not seen - netting was pulled apart by the weight of the fallen leaves. Mia treed it, and Jack took care of things after that.
I cannot believe I was stupid enough to go at it with a board. There have been rabid raccoons in our county. I have no idea where my brains went to, I just saw it was IN my Delaware coop.
No harm to the birds, I think it was a young enough raccoon to not know what chicken dinner is, or eggs for that matter. I think it was after the scratch?

Um Beth darlin? That probably was NOT wise - but to be honest i have done about the same thing - no one messes with my chooks! Please be careful! They do like the scratch and stuff and well lil piggies will eat anything really - perhaps set some traps ala' Kathy style?

Beth, it was not stupid....just not well thought out but the execution gets "TEN" from me. I did the same thing with a rake, my foot and a half a brick. I went totally RAMBO on this coon and it was not even near my coop!
gig.gif
But in all fairness it was near the Diva (like she could not handle it if it went into her stall). I hit it with the rake, shoved into the corner with the rake, held it there, kicked it several times and then fell on it with my knees and smashed it in the face with the half brick screaming like a banshee!

Yes she would be a most excellent war horse....she bites, plows over the enemy (and allies if they are not fast enough), screams, rears, paws, kicks and throws her big head around like a medievil flail to pummel her adversary. And we will not discuss the damage her newly defined butt could do.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom