Sdwd

Barred Rocks....
Ya know how the females are a bit darker than the males?
mw_yes.gif
Well, how come in these buff barred chicks, the male seems to be a bit darker than the female?
hu.gif

31282_dec2011mis051.jpg

31282_dec2011mis054.jpg

Quote:
Mrs. Kathy If you notice where he is predominately darker is in the pyle zone and is very common in a lot of color patterns for the males to be dark/shinier in this area which is also where there is(will be in his case)some of the male sex feathers.
smile.png

Jeff

Quote:
Mrs. Kathy If you notice where he is predominately darker is in the pyle zone and is very common in a lot of color patterns for the males to be dark/shinier in this area which is also where there is(will be in his case)some of the male sex feathers.
smile.png

Jeff

Oh. Okay! I knew you would know! Thank you very much!
hugs.gif

Jeff,
Do you think these will breed true?
fl.gif

By the way, I think I have 3 pair of them. If things go well, I plan to send a pair to you sometime.
But then, shoot.... you will probably hatch some of your own anyway.
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
He earns his keep once in awhile.
lau.gif

Oh well thanks I think? for letting me hang with yall LOL
You know Mrs. Kathy I'm going to say that they most likely will not breed 100% buff barred because of all that is mixed in them there may be a way to take some of their offspring and do it but I'm not that deep into all the genetics that it would take to do it. I'm thinking that its gonna be like the crele pattern and may dillute more and more each time you breed it without adding barring back in from time to time so I really can't say 'cept we'll just have to wait and see. Don't you just love suspense/anxiety anyhow its one reason we do all this hard work is to see results HUH?
lol.png
So NO, no straight answer from me tonight, can I still hang around and play though, please!
fl.gif

Jeff

Dayum Kathy! Those are looking so purty! I sure hope they breed true for ya. It would be fun to see flocks of those strutting around in folks back yard!
thumbsup.gif

OK, I have a question to pose to y'all. Under the current climate conditions here in the Inland NW, which is bitterly cold but dry and sunny during the days and straight up butt numbing cold at night, how long would you wait to introduce a young chick back into the flock with her mama?

As most of you may recall, Cleo hatched on November 1, to sweetie pie Prius, via an egg from Maggie. That makes her five weeks old as of yesterday evening. She has a very good and complete set of feathers right now, but hasn't really started her juvenile molt yet. If memory serves me, that comes in about another month, right?
1.gif

So, with temperatures ranging anywhere from about 35-40 for daytime highs to 15-20 for overnight lows, do y'all think it would be safe to introduce Cleo into her new home with her mama Prius? Or do ya think it's still too early for all of that kind of shenanigans?

I feel rather badly that they're cooped up in this itty bitty Nella brooder all of the time. They're almost at the point where they both need a lot more wing room! I let the two of them out at least twice a day to spread wings and get a chance to romp around on the pump house floor, but I know Prius would give her little hens teeth to take a really good dust bath, bless her heart!

So, your thoughts??? I'm listening!

Back
Top Bottom