Sdwd

Kathy do you have any of the older simple plain ole patchwork quilt patterns? I am looking for something to start Cheyenne out on. I would help her of course. Something that you could use old jeans or t-shirts and such for.....or scraps. She wants to try one. :)

Here are the rodents that were dispatched...she had youngins in her pouch and they were dispatched too...future predator elimination...doesn't she look sweet? NOT!

Later today I shall grace you with a pic of Rocky Raccoon before it meets its demise. Hopefully I remember the camera I am so danged tired.

Oh and here is a wild lookin Delawegger for you all....Storm is the result of Isaac over Snow (the only one in existence). Snow is a beautiful blue splash ameraucana.

The obligatory pics of the Politician Chicken, Junebug herself being the normal goof that she is. We call this the "one-handed Junebug Carry", a requirement for this place because everywhere you go...Junebug goes! "Learn it, Live it, Love it!"

Nighty Nite all.

Kathy do you have any of the older simple plain ole patchwork quilt patterns? I am looking for something to start Cheyenne out on. I would help her of course. Something that you could use old jeans or t-shirts and such for.....or scraps. She wants to try one. :)
LH, for beginners a 9 patch pattern is a great one.

Logging has begun on my extra 3 acre tract. Back is really hurting. One of Aimee's eggs is pipped on Day 19. She has two, Carly has one a day behind. Dusty has two of Aimee's, also a day behind.

And Tom has one of Penny's that was under Carly that he actually dropped when he picked up Carly and crackled near the aircell a few days ago--he put paraffin wax on the crackled area, wrapped it in a moist heating pad as an experiment rather than toss it out on Day 13. He's turned it and tended it and candled almost every day to be sure it hasn't expired.

Well, at Day 18, it is still alive and developing well, moving around and everything!!!!!! Cross your fingers that it hatches. A heating pad incubation, whodathunkit! If it hatches, it will be the coolest thing ever and we'll just put it under whichever broody we want since we have three of them due at the same time.

Logging has begun on my extra 3 acre tract. Back is really hurting. One of Aimee's eggs is pipped on Day 19. She has two, Carly has one a day behind. Dusty has two of Aimee's, also a day behind.

And Tom has one of Penny's that was under Carly that he actually dropped when he picked up Carly and crackled near the aircell a few days ago--he put paraffin wax on the crackled area, wrapped it in a moist heating pad as an experiment rather than toss it out on Day 13. He's turned it and tended it and candled almost every day to be sure it hasn't expired.

Well, at Day 18, it is still alive and developing well, moving around and everything!!!!!! Cross your fingers that it hatches. A heating pad incubation, whodathunkit! If it hatches, it will be the coolest thing ever and we'll just put it under whichever broody we want since we have three of them due at the same time.
Clearcutting or thinning? Logging does make your back hurt.
gig.gif
Just funny to me seeing those two sentences together. You are not ;logging it yourself are you?

Haha, no, we're not doing it, Ed, someone else is. I have no idea how I hurt my back. We are not entirely clearcutting, but they are only two guys so it will take awhile and they'll do as much or as little as we want. We'll decide what and how much, depending on what it looks like. They're starting at the bottom of the property and working their way up toward the house so it will take weeks-they don't have big logging equipment like some do.

I think the smaller outfits do a better job anyhow. Log prices are pretty fair right now also $$$ sorry about the back I think backaches are hereditary in our family all my brothers and sisters struggle with bad backs including me. My older sister can sneeze and throw her back out. My only relief is taking a muscle relaxer like cyclobenzaprine (sp) and I hate taking them.

This is a local quarter horse farm guy who also sells firewood and produce on a corner of his farm, about 1/4 mile down from my house. We have bought firewood from him when we couldn't cut enough on our own property--my DH has degenerative disc disease and is missing several discs entirely now, so keeping a running chainsaw and splitting wood isn't always easy.

I want DH to buy a good Stihl chainsaw with some of the $$ we get, but they don't really pay much here for lumber like they do out in the PNW. The going rate is only $5/ton,which seems really piddly, but no one will pay more. We even consulted the local forester, who said our woodland was a very healthy one, probably logged 40 years back, but that was definitely the going rate.

Most lumbermen here would rather have pine, not hardwood. The forester also confirmed that. Most is used for pulp or lumber to build cabins, and they want pine. We have mostly hardwood, but they pay the same for all of it. The lumber guy we first consulted last year got sick and is out of business after 30 years so we went with this guy--most don't want to fool with small parcels like this.

We have over 5 acres, but the 2 1/4 is what the house is on and fenced off from the rest. We want to log the rest to eventually make some garden space and/or pasture-like land, not all woods. It also opens up the year round view of Watson and Piney Mtns, rather than just a peek-through-the-woods summer view we have now.

With this guy's truck, it may take 50-60 loads or more, at 3-5 tons per load-they'll have to weigh the truckloads and get an average to figure payment. Then, we'll have to work to clean up the mess ourselves and pay someone to pull some stumps, so really won't make any money on it. So, it will open up the view, start us on the road to a garden space and clear the sky for our satellites and antenna.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom