Sdwd

Removing stumps is very expensive. Try pilling the limbs and debrie on top of them and burning them as much as possible. Then dig around and cut as low as possible. Take the chainsaw and cut across the top of the stump. Add chicken compost to try to rot them out. Oh! Irish potatoes love this rough land. Do not add any lime for irish potatoes. One man wanted to charge me 1000.00 dollars to remove one stump WHAT!!!!!! The stump is still there.
I can always dream better when I can not do anything about it, wonder why. I too am building. We bought a prebuilt building and are redoing it for a double coop. It will be back of my house and the chicken runs will be up the hill a bit and in the wooded area. A new run is needed. When I open the double doors on the coops I will have another set of screen doors inside. I can then leave the wood doors open during the day and see in from my kitchen window and have loads of ventilation. I can barely wait.
I hope your back is better. Gloria Jean

$1000 to remove one stump is insane. That may be all we get total from the wood. We'll have to figure something out. Don't need the entire acreage "de-stumped", just a small garden area. The rest of the stumps will eventually rot, especially the pine.

My stumping toy.

Stumping goes for about 500.00 to 1500.00 per acre plus move in. It really depends on the averagesizeof the stump.

To save money rent an excavator for a day and get a buddy that is experienced to run it and you can do a lot in a day. Just pop them out of the ground and if you have any rental time left then shake out the dirt and pile them.

Last edited:
Predator Number 2 is now deceased but I must tell you all what evilness I did...I allowed my chickens to TORMENT THE PREDATOR! I let the chickens out while hubby was getting his crap together and of course my nosey girls just had to see the trap and go strolling over there. My two boys went running down there and took up positions on either side if the trap between it and the girls and they patrolled back and forth, stopping on ocassion to "say" something to the girls and continue patrolling and then the predator made a HUGE mistake...it dared to growl and snarl at the roosters. In a flash both boys turned to face the trap, lowered their heads, flared and stared down the varmit and then Lancelot gave his famous Raptor scream inches from the varmit and the varmit about wet himself, jumped up in the air and was hanging upside down in the trap from the inside top of it. The boys were proud of themselves but would not let the girls near the trap. I took every male bird I had right down to the 4 week olds over to see the predator and told each one what it was and to attack them on sight! hahahahaha Little Rufua my d'Anver roo flared up like a small beach ball and screeched at it and did his little threatening shuffle. hahahahaha

Here is the now deceased varmit....and one of the two traps has already tripped tonight so I will take a look see inside it in a bit.

A huntin I will go ... hi ho the LadyHawk's ticked ... a huntin she will go!

Maybe on such a large scale you can get some machinery to help you out. I hope so. Poplars,locust and paulownia are almost impossible to get rid of. We have sprayed them for two yrs and still the roots sprout. I bet it will be really pretty when you finish. Gloria Jean

Hey, LH, if you're going to be Daniel Boone, you need a coonskin cap! You know how, make one!

Aimee has two pretty babies this morning Day 20. Carly's and Dusty's are on Day 19. Will have to check for pips later on. It was cool this morning, but expecting temps near 100 this weekend.

Last edited:
Hey Halo...how much rain have you gotten this week? 12 inches for us so far. That's on top of the 14" we have gotten in the last two weeks from and since Beryl. Think we can say the multi year drought is over?

There was a sign posted outside a church here...."If you have been praying for rain, you can STOP!"
I know its been at least over 12 inches in the last few days. All my feed buckets for the horses were topped out. I wonder if this has helped fill up Orange Lake. It was in dire straits last I heard.

Im still grateful for the rain, dont you think Colorado would trade us our weather for theirs?

Oh I know how and have made them...I am not wasting my time skinning and tanning that little hide though. I will wait for it's daddy to get in that trap! Both traps were empty this morning, one was tripped for the second time with nothing in it...so time to get crafty on their butts.

You asked for logging pics so here are some. In the first one, the pickup you can barely see at the bottom of the hill is at one of the lower corners of the property, though past the truck on the other corner is lower by a few feet--we told them to start near the bottom and work their way up the hill toward the house, which will give us time to get the back fence removed so they don't crush it. That road is the power line easement road.

Ed, if you read this, they're cutting stumps low, but I eventually want to even out a garden spot up on the top slope, which is where I'd want stumps removed so when they get closer to the fence up at the top, should they cut them higher? I mean, is it easier to pull stumps if they aren't cut so low? I heard that once, but not sure.

This was completely wooded before, except for the trails we had cut:

Old pine-count the rings:

Uncut area uphill from the newly cut clearing-this is what the rest of it looks like:

Other pics from the main acreage where the house is. A flying squirrel is living in my birdhouse amongst the trumpet vine. Scared me to death when she poked her head out when I was pushing the vine away from the opening. Wish I'd had my camera then!

One of the large oaks we call The Three Sisters-they are in a triangular configuration behind the bantam coop. This is the back one.

Wild plum tree. They're mostly pit, but really sweet, if you can get to one before bugs or something else eats it. The chickens love them. They turn yellowy-orange

Video of Aimee with her two new babies--yes, these are actually her own.
http://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/Mtnviewpoultry/Video Clips/?action=view&current=DSCN5820.mp4

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom